From: owner-onlyjoni-digest@smoe.org (onlyJMDL Digest) To: onlyjoni-digest@smoe.org Subject: onlyJMDL Digest V2014 #564 Reply-To: joni@smoe.org Sender: owner-onlyjoni-digest@smoe.org Errors-To: owner-onlyjoni-digest@smoe.org Precedence: bulk Website:http://www.jonimitchell.com Unsubscribe:mailto:onlyjoni-digest-request@smoe.org?body=unsubscribe onlyJMDL Digest Friday, April 3 2015 Volume 2014 : Number 564 ========== TOPICS and authors in this Digest: -------- Re: Nervous [Michael Flaherty ] RE: JMDL Digest V2014 #1930 [Rebecca Alexander ] Re: Nervous [Bob Muller ] Re: While we're waiting for some word, how about some music (VLJC) [Happy] ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 19:16:15 -0500 From: Michael Flaherty Subject: Re: Nervous I've been through this with loved ones numerous times. You get through the emergency. You're relieved. But things can turn. And so you wait. However strong she is, she's 71 and her body has gone through a shock. It's best not to get complacent nor alarmist. You hope and you wait. Michael F. Sent from my iPhone > On Apr 3, 2015, at 5:34 PM, Lindsay Moon wrote: > > Just wondering if everyone is okay with the two-day old "Joni's in good spirits" report. I am growing more uneasy as another day passes with no update at all. Is she in or out of the hospital? It's also odd to me that none of her contemporaries (Graham Nash or David Crosby to name two) have said much of anything. Malka is quiet. Les is quiet. I just joined Twitter the day she went in the hospital and do not know how to use it very well, but when I search those names, I don't see much that they've said. In other words, the silence is deafening. > > Am I just being a weirdo? > > Living on nerves and feelings, > Lindsay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 16:11:42 -0400 From: Rebecca Alexander Subject: RE: JMDL Digest V2014 #1930 I just want to tell you all how much I appreciate this site. I am in awe of those of you who know Joni & feel pri eleged to hear so many stories about her. I never know what quite to add.... Just like her music & lyrics I just love to listen. Praying for you Joni... Becky in Indiana. Sent via the Samsung Galaxy NoteB. 3, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
-------- Original message --------
From: JMDL Digest
Date:04/03/2015 3:24 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: joni-digest@smoe.org
Subject: JMDL Digest V2014 #1930
JMDL Digest Friday, April 3 2015 Volume 2014 : Number 1930 ========== TOPICS and authors in this Digest: - -------- Re: While we're waiting for some word, how about some music (VLJC) [Anita] Re: Joni not a folksinger!!! [Bob Muller ] Re: Joni not a folksinger!!! [Dave Blackburn ] - ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 17:59:58 +0100 From: Anita Gabrielle Subject: Re: While we're waiting for some word, how about some music (VLJC) Anne, I read last weekend about Laura Marling's new album and it is extremely good. She also has a new elfin hair cut and I understand that she has been living in LA for quite a while but is now back here in the UK. Your friend Alex sounds like he did Joni proud, and I am hopeful that we did the same last night at our house gig in Conker Cabin. There were about twenty five of us squashed in. My friend Jo (a member of my new band the Favourite Aunties) joined me for a short set supporting Luke Jackson. We sang "I think I understand" and "Both Sides Now" and a couple of my tunes. I set up some candles and photos of Joni and we all shouted "Get Well Soon, Joni!" I mentioned Luke Jackson, aged just twenty, on JMDL earlier in the week. OMG he is incredible live. Just blew the place apart and was very patient and kindly with all my Joni chat! Two of the guests at the Conker Cabin gig were Kieron and Maureen who have run the Hitchin Folk Club for fifty years. They have booked everybody. I believe Jeff Buckley played there. Kieron said that Luke is the most talented singer songwriter at his age that he has ever seen and that included Richard Thompson (who is a big influence on Luke.) I hope to put some clips up of the gig on YouTube some time in the future, but there are loads already if you want to check him out. It was a very timely evening with all that's been happening and there was a lot of love in the room, The old hippie (correctly spelt this time :-)) Anita > On 3 Apr 2015, at 14:42, anne@sandstrom.com wrote: > > As we await any new updates (hopefully good news) about Joni, how about > doing what we do best - listening to good music. > > Laura Marling's new CD "Short Movie" is exquisite. It's a departure from > the sound on her previous recordings, but works very well. The songs are > well crafted and yet have that "I just made this up and didn't fuss over > it too much" feeling. I think you'll see a progression in her music not > unlike Joni's. In some ways, this reminds me of Hejira. > > Also, a singer-songwriter from the Boston area has put out a wonderful > new CD. Krista Baroni (http://www.kristabaroni.com/ [1]) admits doing > being heavily influence by Joni. The first song on the album talks about > climbing canyons! I definitely recommend giving her CD Alabaster Girl a > listen. (Although I do think she's even more influence by Laura Marling, > not a bad thing...) > > And finally, I went to see friends play at a local cafC) on Wednesday > night. My friend Alex Rosiewicz, who is an exquisite player and does > lots of Richard Thompson, ended his set with Big Yellow Taxi. He > introduced it simply by saying he was sure everyone in the room knew the > next song. I recognized it from the first chord. Tears sprung to my > eyes. I hadn't really been emotional about Joni's health scare (somehow > I know she'll be ok) until that moment. That's when the entirety of her > musical influence just hit me. > > lots of love, > > Anne > > > Links: > ------ > [1] http://www.kristabaroni.com/ - ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 15:57:16 +0000 (UTC) From: Bob Muller Subject: Re: Joni not a folksinger!!! Hi Jeff! Firstly, good to see Julian Fleisher's name again - he performed at Wall-To-Wall Joni in NYC all those years ago, singing with the Mingus Big Band. He was great. He's also recorded and released Dry Cleaner. Anyway, I'm sure Columbia had Joni CD's - I was a member of BMG music club for awhile. I used them to backfill my CD collection and got pretty much every Joni CD from STAS to TI through them. I used to always wait for the "Buy 1, get 3 free" deals, by the time you paid for the shipping it averaged out to around $8/CD, still better than what you could get from a store. Bob NP: Sufjan Stevens, "Carrie and Lowell" B From: Jeff Clark To: JMDL Sent: Friday, April 3, 2015 9:56 AM Subject: Joni not a folksinger!!! "If one more major media outlet refers to Joni Mitchell as a "60s Folksinger," I am seriously going to lose. It." Julian Fleisher, via FacebookB My sentiments exactly! This is a good article. I had a few minutes to check out this Cue Point (on line magazine/blog) I guess. They showed a feature of those Columbia House, 12 discs for a penny ads that were always in Parade and other magazines and sent thru the mail. What a tinge of nostalgia. It wasn't all that long ago but seems like ages ago. I don't know that I ever bought the deal, but used to always imagine what I would pick. The thought of getting 12 cds for a penny was awesome, but I hated the thought of the responsibility of buying more for 2 or 3 years that were super expensive. I don't think they ever had any Joni anyway. I wonder if something like that was in her contract? My parents used to order from them when I was very small, Henry Mancini, Frank Sinatra, Mathis, etc.Well I would have thought Joni would be home by now!! Hopefully today. B I'm reminded that in the CBC interview she says she was in the hospital quite a bit in the 70's for various things that no one knew about and how she preferred privacy (a concept that went the way of Columbia House, never to come back). Sending out loving vibes to Joni. I was just watching her Charlie Rose interview on youtube before I heard. She's pretty much the smartest, funniest, most talented, insightful, inspiring person I can imagine. Sending out good vibes. Happy Easter, Passover, or if you're Buddhist, "sometimes its Spring, sometimes its not anything!"B Jeff - ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 12:20:10 -0700 From: Dave Blackburn Subject: Re: Joni not a folksinger!!! Itbs an Eadd9 chord, Sue. > On Apr 3, 2015, at 11:17 AM, Susan E. McNamara wrote: > > I think it's a Em#5addb9 ... !!!! Dave, help!!! :-) > > -----Original Message----- > From: Bob Muller [mailto:scjoniguy@yahoo.com] > Sent: Friday, April 03, 2015 2:10 PM > To: Susan E. McNamara > Cc: Jeff Clark; JMDL > Subject: Re: Joni not a folksinger!!! > > That's that tritone "devils chord", right? > > Bob > > Sent from my iPhone > >> On Apr 3, 2015, at 1:05 PM, "Susan E. McNamara" wrote: >> >> I have to say, itbs not only that the line is so beautiful, but she uses this emotional chord shift there that just hits you right in the heart. Thatbs why we love her. >> >> From: Bob Muller [mailto:scjoniguy@yahoo.com] >> Sent: Friday, April 03, 2015 11:51 AM >> To: Susan E. McNamara; Jeff Clark; JMDL >> Subject: Re: Joni not a folksinger!!! >> >> I LOVE Sunny Sunday - just heard it this morning, in fact. I decided to hit my "Joni" playlist on Rhapsody with my morning coffee and newspaper. Really nice to hear all those songs today. I was actually spurred on by Rob's posting of "Down To You" on Facebook. Such a gorgeous song I had to listen and then it made me hungry for more. >> >> Anyway, listening to Sunny Sunday the line "that one little victory, that's all she needs" really jumped out at me, for obvious reasons. >> >> Bob >> >> NP: Sufjan Stevens, "John My Beloved" >> >> ________________________________ >> From: Susan E. McNamara > >> To: Jeff Clark >; JMDL > >> Sent: Friday, April 3, 2015 11:19 AM >> Subject: RE: Joni not a folksinger!!! >> >> Hi Jeff, >> >> Thanks for mentioning this article ... I saw the headline and decided not to read it but when I saw your post, I decided to go back and look at it. This writer explained very well the essence of why Joni is so important. I kept on nodding in agreement throughout. Especially when he talked about Turbulent Indigo and the song Sunny Sunday ... great opening to a great album. Also he mentioned another great opening song, Morning Morgantown on Ladies of the Canyon. Another favorite of mine. Thanks for prodding me to check it out. >> >> Sue >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: owner-joni@smoe.org [mailto:owner-joni@smoe.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Clark >> Sent: Friday, April 03, 2015 9:57 AM >> To: JMDL >> Subject: Joni not a folksinger!!! >> >> "If one more major media outlet refers to Joni Mitchell as a "60s Folksinger," >> I am seriously going to lose. It." Julian Fleisher, via FacebookB >> >> My sentiments exactly! This is a good article. I had a few minutes to check out this Cue Point (on line magazine/blog) I guess. They showed a feature of those Columbia House, 12 discs for a penny ads that were always in Parade and other magazines and sent thru the mail. What a tinge of nostalgia. It wasn't all that long ago but seems like ages ago. I don't know that I ever bought the deal, but used to always imagine what I would pick. The thought of getting 12 cds for a penny was awesome, but I hated the thought of the responsibility of buying more for 2 or 3 years that were super expensive. I don't think they ever had any Joni anyway. I wonder if something like that was in her contract? >> My parents used to order from them when I was very small, Henry Mancini, Frank Sinatra, Mathis, etc.Well I would have thought Joni would be home by now!! >> Hopefully today. B I'm reminded that in the CBC interview she says she was in the hospital quite a bit in the 70's for various things that no one knew about and how she preferred privacy (a concept that went the way of Columbia House, never to come back). Sending out loving vibes to Joni. I was just watching her Charlie Rose interview on youtube before I heard. She's pretty much the smartest, funniest, most talented, insightful, inspiring person I can imagine. >> Sending out good vibes. Happy Easter, Passover, or if you're Buddhist, "sometimes its Spring, sometimes its not anything!"B Jeff - ------------------------------ End of JMDL Digest V2014 #1930 ****************************** - ------- To post messages to the list,sendtojoni@smoe.org. Unsubscribe by clicking here: mailto:joni-digest-request@smoe.org?body=unsubscribe - ------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 18:46:57 -0400 From: Bob Muller Subject: Re: Nervous You're nervous because LES IS QUIET? Yeah, that's pretty weird. Given the celebrity media out there, I think that no news is good news. Bob Sent from my iPhone > On Apr 3, 2015, at 6:34 PM, Lindsay Moon wrote: > > Just wondering if everyone is okay with the two-day old "Joni's in good spirits" report. I am growing more uneasy as another day passes with no update at all. Is she in or out of the hospital? It's also odd to me that none of her contemporaries (Graham Nash or David Crosby to name two) have said much of anything. Malka is quiet. Les is quiet. I just joined Twitter the day she went in the hospital and do not know how to use it very well, but when I search those names, I don't see much that they've said. In other words, the silence is deafening. > > Am I just being a weirdo? > > Living on nerves and feelings, > Lindsay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 21:56:02 -0500 From: Happy The Man Subject: Re: While we're waiting for some word, how about some music (VLJC) I've been listening to three albums the last two weeks. Mostly the Courtney Barnett album which reminds me of a little like Lucinda Williams. The new Sufjan Stevens album which kind of reaches back to some earlier albums. And the new Laura Marling. I thing the album is a also a good progression. It's been one of those can't keep off the turntable when I'm not playing Joni albums. I'm going to check out the Krista Baroni album. As much as i'm waiting with baited to hear how she's doing i'm trusting shes in good hands surrounded by those who lover hear and us sitting on the sidelines sending out our love. NP: Shadows & Light On Apr 3, 2015 9:23 AM, wrote: > As we await any new updates (hopefully good news) about Joni, how about > doing what we do best - listening to good music. > > Laura Marling's new CD "Short Movie" is exquisite. It's a departure from > the sound on her previous recordings, but works very well. The songs are > well crafted and yet have that "I just made this up and didn't fuss over > it too much" feeling. I think you'll see a progression in her music not > unlike Joni's. In some ways, this reminds me of Hejira. > > Also, a singer-songwriter from the Boston area has put out a wonderful > new CD. Krista Baroni (http://www.kristabaroni.com/ [1]) admits doing > being heavily influence by Joni. The first song on the album talks about > climbing canyons! I definitely recommend giving her CD Alabaster Girl a > listen. (Although I do think she's even more influence by Laura Marling, > not a bad thing...) > > And finally, I went to see friends play at a local cafC) on Wednesday > night. My friend Alex Rosiewicz, who is an exquisite player and does > lots of Richard Thompson, ended his set with Big Yellow Taxi. He > introduced it simply by saying he was sure everyone in the room knew the > next song. I recognized it from the first chord. Tears sprung to my > eyes. I hadn't really been emotional about Joni's health scare (somehow > I know she'll be ok) until that moment. That's when the entirety of her > musical influence just hit me. > > lots of love, > > Anne > > > Links: > ------ > [1] http://www.kristabaroni.com/ ------------------------------ End of onlyJMDL Digest V2014 #564 ********************************* ------- Post messages to the list by clicking here:mailto:joni@smoe.org Unsubscribe by clicking here: mailto:onlyjoni-digest-request@smoe.org?body=unsubscribe