From: owner-onlyjoni-digest@smoe.org (onlyJMDL Digest) To: onlyjoni-digest@smoe.org Subject: onlyJMDL Digest V2012 #308 Reply-To: joni@smoe.org Sender: owner-onlyjoni-digest@smoe.org Errors-To: owner-onlyjoni-digest@smoe.org Precedence: bulk Website:http://www.jonimitchell.com Unsubscribe:mailto:onlyjoni-digest-request@smoe.org?body=unsubscribe onlyJMDL Digest Saturday, September 22 2012 Volume 2012 : Number 308 ========== TOPICS and authors in this Digest: -------- Update and request ["Pat Boland" ] Re: new doctoral thesis about Joni [David Lahm ] New Library item: Jaco Pastorius: 25 Years Ago Today... [TheStaff@JoniMi] Re: Quad C&S in Stereo (2 Songs) - Link is NOW Active! [Gertus@aol.com] Re: Quad C&S in Stereo (2 Songs) [Jamie Zubairi Home Subject: Update and request This was posted but marked njc so i never saw it until Jody Johnson re-posted it to the fb jmdl I am re-posting it because I think everyone needs to know what's up and because I think that's what Joni would want: Jody wrote: "it concerns a long time JMDLer and friend, John van Tiel-or Uncle John to many. Some of you have mentioned that you have not been on the big list for awhile, so hopefully some will read this here.
It's hard enough for John to ask for help, but he posted this to the list earlier."

"Subject: Update and request

... Many of you know of my situation... this is an upgrade. I had a brainstem-stroke in February and in the physical therapy recovery course, I broke my left arm. My brain has had only very little mental damage but I have been paralyzed on the left (left arm and left leg) since my stroke. At the moment an old injury on my left achilles heel has returned so I am unable to walk. Due to my combined stroke/broken arm I could not work. Since February my income has gone down by more sthan 90%. I have been living from my savings. They too are now exhausted.I have by law no right to dole money or sik money because I am selk-employed. Also my bank won't loan me anything (I tried)... The word stroke closed all doors.Yesterday someone from the FB-Jonilist offered to help and advised me to go to the list and ask for financial help by publishing my PayPal address here:. It's johnvantiel@home.nl. Any gift will be welcome, however small. I need the money to eat and pay my rent. I made a big trip sometime ago which was a kind of sabbatical. For that i bought a solid car, which I am not allowed to drive now. My present world consists of my armchair, some music and a circle of movement of about 5 metres in radius. I do have medical help at home and my head is OK, just imprisoned in an immobile body. And I am imprisoned in my home. Miss my friends... miss you all. ... Looking out of my window and wanting to go out... thanks for listening, John" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 06:48:18 -0400 From: David Lahm Subject: Re: new doctoral thesis about Joni Thanks, Marion. We can agree to disagree. DL On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Marion Leffler wrote: > Well, David, she has said herself that her music is genderless - if not > her person...And she has always denied feminism although to my mind she has > always acted like a feminist. So I do think there is something to the > thesis, that women in rock to some extent have to deny their gender or at > least downplay it and be "just as good as a man". > > Just my opinion, > Marion in Sweden > > 2012/9/19 David Lahm > >> Mitchell denies her womanhood and wants to be perceived as genderless or >> masculine? >> >> give me an f....ing break! DAVID LAHM >> >> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Jussi Pukkila wrote: >> >> > Forgot to include the title: >> > >> > Dissertation: A female musician can't be thoroughly feminine >> > >> > (I'm not sure what's the kosher term: 'female' or 'woman' >> > musician/rocker...) >> > >> > >> > --jussi ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 16:19:27 -0600 (MDT) From: TheStaff@JoniMitchell.com Subject: New Library item: Jaco Pastorius: 25 Years Ago Today... Title: Jaco Pastorius: 25 Years Ago Today... Publication: Bass Musician Magazine Date: 2012.9.21 http://jonimitchell.com/library/view.cfm?id=2521 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 12:03:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Gertus@aol.com Subject: Re: Quad C&S in Stereo (2 Songs) - Link is NOW Active! Simon, This wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing it. I great treat. Jacky ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 23:47:01 +0100 From: Jamie Zubairi Home Subject: Re: Quad C&S in Stereo (2 Songs) Wow! I think they're both different mixes, if not entirely different takes... Amazing separation of the indiviual instruments. I can really hear Larry Carlton's playing on People's Parties and the 'colourwash' sound that Joni seems to have in her later records (Cool Water, for example, which I think she used keyboards to achieve, but in this case I think it's an electric guitar. Also I can really hear the lowest 'laughing it all away' harmony, which in the stereophonic mix only comes right at the end. And of course... The song ENDS! It doesn't segue into Same Situation. And hearing the strings in SS is pretty special, their interplay. And... what's with the funny chord at the end? You hear the piano more in this mix and the little 'untidy' unresolved end movement. Thanks Simon. I think I've got a quad HOSL but of course I don't have a turntable and I've ony got 2 speakers. I would love them to release the DVD-Audio version of these with these mixes so in my fantasy home I can sit amongst the music in 6 channel glory. Or something. On 18 September 2012 22:57, wrote: > Legend has it that record companies had to make better records when > pressing quad records because the extra channels were encoded at higher > frequencies than normal records. I think the rear channel difference > frequencies were between 20k and 40k. They had to use virgin vinyl (without > "regrind") and longer pressing times. Those are two of the many techniques > used today to make premium quality records. > > In short, I believe what you hear, Catherine! I wish we had a premium > version of For The Roses. > > Jim > > Sent from my iPhone > - -- Jamie Zubairi Actor, Voiceover, Painter, Photographer. Acting Agent: Pelham Associates 01273 323 010 SpotLight Showreel UnBroken Line Wefund Currently performing at the Tate Modern Turbine Hall as part of the *Tino Sehgal Unilever Commission. *In December *'Unbroken Line*' a solo performance premieres at OvalHouse Upstairs. ------------------------------ End of onlyJMDL Digest V2012 #308 ********************************* ------- Post messages to the list by clicking here:mailto:joni@smoe.org Unsubscribe by clicking here: mailto:onlyjoni-digest-request@smoe.org?body=unsubscribe