From: owner-lucy-list-digest@smoe.org (lucy-list-digest) To: lucy-list-digest@smoe.org Subject: lucy-list-digest V4 #202 Reply-To: lucy-list@smoe.org Sender: owner-lucy-list-digest@smoe.org Errors-To: owner-lucy-list-digest@smoe.org Precedence: bulk lucy-list-digest Tuesday, September 3 2002 Volume 04 : Number 202 In this issue: [lucy-list] Re: lucy-list-digest V4 #201 Re: [lucy-list] slight clarification [lucy-list] Twin Cities, copyediting Re: [lucy-list] Twin Cities, copyediting Re: [lucy-list] Twin Cities, copyediting Re: [lucy-list] Twin Cities, copyediting Re: [lucy-list] Twin Cities, copyediting Re: [lucy-list] Twin Cities, copyediting Re: [lucy-list] Twin Cities, copyediting Re: [lucy-list] Twin Cities, copyediting ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:53:29 EDT From: Imagoofstr@aol.com Subject: [lucy-list] Re: lucy-list-digest V4 #201
Does anyone know when Lucy will be in the Twin Cities or close by???  Please
let me know!  Thanks, Jodi

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 08:17:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Deb Woodell
Subject: Re: [lucy-list] slight clarification

Benay wrote,
> As a particularly astute Lucy-lister has pointed out
> to me, I should not risk
> misleading people by giving the impression that the
> word "lay" cannot be used
> in the present tense. It CAN be present tense, as
> long as it has an
> object---i.e., to lay something down. But when
> you're using the verb in the
> present tense with the meaning "to recline," and
> there's no object, then it's
> "lie" (except by Folk Singer Rules, of course). It
> all has to do with
> transitiveness and intransitiveness and things that
> I'm sure would put 95
> percent of the list right to sleep if I got into
> them any further here.
  Well, we should get to this in my copy-editing class
in about 2 weeks, so Benay can come and explain it to
my students. It's time for someone else to experience
the "thrill" of seeing all those glazed-over eyes.
Deb

=====
You can take the rock band away from the girl and think you've tamed her. But, she'll just pick up an acoustic, give you that innocent little girl grin, quietly laugh and say? "Nevah!"
http://finance.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 09:08:33 -0700
From: "Benay Bubar"
Subject: [lucy-list] Twin Cities, copyediting

Lucy will be in Minneapolis on September 14th (as Timothy knows well!).

Incidentally, Jodi, no need to depend on the list...you can always find Lucy's
tour schedule online. Her website, www.lucykaplansky.com, will get you
directly to her tour schedule either through www.musi-cal.com (a great general
concert resource) or her booking agency. Usually both have the same
information but it's still nice to have access to both.

I forgot to say yesterday how honored I am to be nominated as Official
Lucy-list Grammarian...I'm practically speechless. It just goes to show that
when you have a dream, when you work hard your whole life...you too can attain
an exalted yet obscure title on the Lucy-list! :-) Yes, I'm sure there are
plenty of other positions left even now that Official Lucy-list Grammarian is
taken...you too can give the Lucy-list something it never realized it
needed...

And Deb, how excellent that you have a copyediting class...I fear I could do
nothing to dispel that glazed-over look your students get, though. You either
care or you don't, and those who don't may never understand. Coming from a
family that didn't care(well, except for my grandmother), being the victim of
some sort of genetic hiccup that made ME care, I endured years of bemused
looks from those close to me. I have considered starting a support group. The
seed text could be the chapter on born copy editors from Anne Fadiman's book
Ex Libris, which contains some of the best (and funniest) musings on the
subject I have ever read...

Sorry...this is the Lucy-list. Forgive me. I just get a little emotional when
it comes to copyediting...aside from folk music, it's the subject matter
closest to my heart...

Well, I never said I WASN'T weird, after all.

Benay

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 12:47:06 EDT
From: Bn2Synthsz@aol.com
Subject: Re: [lucy-list] Twin Cities, copyediting

In a message dated 9/2/2002 12:09:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
benruth@earthlink.net writes:

> Sorry...this is the Lucy-list. Forgive me. I just get a little emotional
> when
> it comes to copyediting...aside from folk music, it's the subject matter
> closest to my heart

I passed through my copy editing stage to developmental editing and my life
has become much more stress-free.  I leave the grammar to experts like Benay!
  ;-)

Although I have to admit that I am very guilty of proofreading menus,
playbills, newspaper articles, etc.

My biggest pet peeve: how "it's" has some become a possesive adjective.
EEEECCCCCCCKKKK!!!!  I hate it.

When are people ever going to understand that "it's" is the contracted form
for  "it is"???

My bet: never.

Sigh.

Kathy

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:49:54 -0700
From: "Gina"

I may be having a total brain infarct, but I can't think of an example of
this.  Would you mind using "it's" as a possessive adjective in a sentence?

Anyone here every hear the Loudon Wainwright song "Cobwebs?"

Gina

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 13:52:44 EDT
From: Bn2Synthsz@aol.com

In a message dated 9/2/2002 1:51:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
togg@sbcglobal.net writes:

> I may be having a total brain infarct, but I can't think of an example of
> this.  Would you mind using "it's" as a possessive adjective in a sentence

The serene, little town by the sea is losing its charm.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 16:23:48 -0400
From: Todd Satogata

> I may be having a total brain infarct, but I can't think of an example of
> this.  Would you mind using "it's" as a possessive adjective in a sentence?

IANAE (I am not an editor), but being married to one (perhaps even worse :-),
I have long-sinced memorized one of my dear wife's editorial credos:

    is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's. It
    isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

Its structure isn't pretty, but it's handy to remember nonetheless.

BUT -- sorry to nitpick -- words like "its" or "it's" ain't adjectives
even though they're possessive. Them's pronouns, and I'm just a'itchin'
for a fight to sing seven verses of "Rufus Xavier Sasparilla" and "Unpack
Your Adjectives" for anyone that disagrees. But I'll back off and sing
harmony if Benay and Deb sing "Lolly Lolly Lolly Get Your Adverbs Here".

And Benay, thank you thank you for the Fadiman "Ex Libris" recommendation!
The editoral wife's birthday's a'comin' up soon and it just a'hopped from
your lucy-list email right onto my amazon list. How'd *that* happen?

- -Todd (who's obviously going a bit stir-crazy on a rain-drenched Labor Day)

- --------------+-------------------------+----------------+-----------------
Todd Satogata | C-A Accelerator Physics | (631) 344-5826 | satogata@bnl.gov
- --------------+-------------------------+----------------+-----------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 14:26:38 -0700
From: "Gina"

Thank you Todd.  It was the adjective part that confused me.  Unfortunately,
now I feel paranoid about using "it's" in a sentence.  *sigh*

Gina

> > I may be having a total brain infarct, but I can't think of an example
of
> > this.  Would you mind using "it's" as a possessive adjective in a
sentence?

> IANAE (I am not an editor), but being married to one (perhaps even worse
:-),
> I have long-sinced memorized one of my dear wife's editorial credos:
>
>     It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it
>     is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's. It
>     isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
>
> Its structure isn't pretty, but it's handy to remember nonetheless.
>
> BUT -- sorry to nitpick -- words like "its" or "it's" ain't adjectives
> even though they're possessive. Them's pronouns, and I'm just a'itchin'
> for a fight to sing seven verses of "Rufus Xavier Sasparilla" and "Unpack
> Your Adjectives" for anyone that disagrees. But I'll back off and sing
> harmony if Benay and Deb sing "Lolly Lolly Lolly Get Your Adverbs Here".
>
> And Benay, thank you thank you for the Fadiman "Ex Libris" recommendation!
> The editoral wife's birthday's a'comin' up soon and it just a'hopped from
> your lucy-list email right onto my amazon list. How'd *that* happen?
>
> -Todd (who's obviously going a bit stir-crazy on a rain-drenched Labor
Day)

> --------------+-------------------------+----------------+----------------
- -
> Todd Satogata | C-A Accelerator Physics | (631) 344-5826 |
satogata@bnl.gov
> --------------+-------------------------+----------------+----------------
- -

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 14:29:32 -0700
From: "Benay Bubar"

Hooray! I'm glad to know I'm supporting sales of the Anne Fadiman book Ex
Libris. If I had to pick a literary version of Lucy (not in terms of actual
similarity to Lucy...similar only in terms of being someone I hold in high
esteem), Anne Fadiman just might be the person. Her other book (The Spirit
Catches You and You Fall Down) is fascinating too...a journalistic exploration
of how the medical community conflicts with the traditional culture of an
immigrant community...but Ex Libris is just plain fun for anybody with a sense
of humor and the least interest in books and words. I am the biggest proponent
of libraries you have ever seen (after all, I spend with all my spending money
and more on concerts and CDs!), but I went out and BOUGHT Ex Libris as soon as
I had a chance, and I have given it as a gift too, several times, very
successfully.

And thank YOU, Todd, for mentioning those song titles, which turned out to be
from Schoolhouse Rock. In a sad twist of fate, I seem to be the only one who
ENTIRELY missed Schoolhouse Rock in its heyday, but I looked up Rufus Xavier
Sarsaparilla and the other titles online, hoping they really existed. To my
delight, they really DO exist, and they are wonderful indeed.

Sigh...how'd I drag us into major grammar discussions? Well, I AM now the
official Lucy-list Grammarian...still, profuse apologies to the multitudes who
couldn't care less (and it IS "couldn't care less," isn't it? I mean, lots of
people say "COULD care less," but if you COULD care less, it means you do
care, which negates the whole thing, right?). Well, only five days 'til Lucy
in Bridgeport!

Benay

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 00:04:56 EDT
From: Pashonfish@aol.com

Benay,
You are not alone... I misses SHR too... I have to check the dates because I
lived from 1982 - 1989 in North Africa (even though I did have wee ones.)
Was that my problem???  I think it would help alleviate my incompetence in
the field of grammar with my sixth graders.  I may have to spring for the new
DVD.

Keep up the sharing Benay. You have me in big smiles and chuckles...

Sarah

lucy-list-digest"  in
the body of the message