From: owner-joni-digest@smoe.org (JMDL Digest) To: joni-digest@smoe.org Subject: JMDL Digest V2012 #1433 Reply-To: joni@smoe.org Sender: owner-joni-digest@smoe.org Errors-To: owner-joni-digest@smoe.org Precedence: bulk Unsubscribe:mailto:joni-digest-request@smoe.org?body=unsubscribe Website:http://jonimitchell.com JMDL Digest Sunday, September 23 2012 Volume 2012 : Number 1433 ========== TOPICS and authors in this Digest: -------- Re: What does Joni have in common with Pepper Adams? (sjc) NJC [Bob Mulle] Re: onlyJMDL Digest V2012 #308 [Mark-Leon Thorne ] thank you, all ["John van Tiel" ] Joni DVD+R CBC-TV 2006-2007 Songwriters Hall of Fame [Kevin Cade ] What does Joni have in common with Pepper Adams? (sjc) [Dan Olson ] Joni DVD+R CBC-TV 2006-2007 w/Songwriters Hall of Fame [Kevin Cade ] RE: Knitting September 22 & Conversations with Joni [Susan Tierney McNama] Re: ruby lake [Phyliss Ward ] ruby lake [Marianne Rizzo ] Knitting [jlhommedieu@insight.rr.com] Re: onlyJMDL Digest V2012 #309 [Stdoherty ] ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 07:11:59 -0700 (PDT) From: Bob Muller Subject: Re: What does Joni have in common with Pepper Adams? (sjc) NJC Thanks for that knowledge, Dan - had never heard of him and found all of that very interesting. Bob ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 20:21:24 +1000 From: Mark-Leon Thorne Subject: Re: onlyJMDL Digest V2012 #308 Hi John, So sorry for your your circumstances. It's a terrible turn of events. I showed your message to my partner, who is also from the Netherlands. He suggested that you draw on your self employment disability insurance. Also known as, "Arbeidsongeschiktheidsverzekering". Mark in Sydney ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 19:46:57 +0200 From: "John van Tiel" Subject: thank you, all Everyone who has helped me so far this weekend... thank you so much. It has given me true energy and a happy mood. Ideal for my birthday on Monday.Let the healing continue! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 11:29:15 -0700 From: Kevin Cade Subject: Joni DVD+R CBC-TV 2006-2007 Songwriters Hall of Fame Hello Group, A few years back, a member (whose name, unfortunately, I can't recall b so sorry) very kindly offered copies of a DVD+r featuring several CBC-TV segments of Joni; culminating with her induction into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2007. My disc was rendered unplayable recently and I'm hoping like crazy to get my hands on a replacement. Does anyone have a DVD they'd be willing to duplicate and forward at my expense? If so, please feel free to contact me, either here or off group. I'm desperate for another copy! Thanks, - -KC ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 12:09:28 -0700 (PDT) From: Bob Muller Subject: Joni Covers 152 And the seasons go round and round Hi all, and especially good wishes to the folks who will be casually hanging out with Joni tonight! As the season changes from summer to fall, here's some new Joni covers to fall on you. The usual hodgepodge of tunes from hither and yon. And one of the funniest band names to ever do a Joni cover. The link: http://tinyurl.com/bnwslzw The folks: 1. Signe Juhl & Nikolaj Bentzon Trio - A Case Of You 2. Stewart Dudley - Both Sides Now 3. Naomi Ferguson & Graham Waldrop - Blue 4. Jeanette Osborne - River 5. The Ukaye Ukes - Big Yellow Taxi 6. The Montreal Pop Concert Orchestra - Both Sides Now 7. Nick Ingman Orchestra - Chelsea Morning 8. Wicked Sisters - The Circle Game 9. Terea - For Free 10. Marco Detto & Beatrice Zanolini - A Case Of You 11. Mona Caywood - Both Sides Now 12. Wendy Lane Bailey - Once In A Blue Moon/Night Ride Home 13. Opie Gone Bad - River 14. Sara Macliver - Both Sides Now 15. Monika Borzym - The Dry Cleaner From Des Moines 16. Tony Evans Band - Woodstock 17. The Wright Kids - Big Yellow Taxi 18. Shane Chisholm - This Flight Tonight 19. Rick Lahmann - Both Sides Now Hope you find something to enjoy! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 08:22:16 -0700 (PDT) From: Em Subject: Re: New Bob Dylan, njc I suppose Yep. Been digging it for about a week now. Will probably give another play right now. One time I listened to it WHILE reading the RS article. That was a trip. The album causes me to want to listen to it more than any other of his even semi-recent albums. I liked the way he dismissed the plagiarism issue during the RS interview. He brushes it off like an annoying fly. To me, he talks like an artist - kinda half crazy - even contradicting himself at times. But I feel that in his music he straightens out and flies right. I think he TRIED, in this album, to make at least the instrumentation and production attractive. He knows his voice isn't going to be beautiful in any traditional sense (duh) but I believe he dressed the album up, production-wise. I'm NOT saying it's over-produced, at all. (cuz that would put me off it in a heartbeat) But rather that the arrangements and recording were carefully thought out (and paid for, lol) Like one of his really cool suits. So, thanks, Mr D! I just have it as downloads from Amazon, and even so, the sound to me is really stellar. just my .02. It MAKES me want to listen to it! There's nothing more I can ask of an album. :) Em - --- On Thu, 9/20/12, Jim L'Hommedieu wrote: From: Jim L'Hommedieu Subject: New Bob Dylan, njc I suppose To: "JMDL" Date: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 10:58 PM Rolling Stone has a big interview with Bob Dylan in the current issue. I picked it up yesterday. Has anyone heard his new album? Jim L'Hommedieu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 01:13:34 -0500 From: Dan Olson Subject: What does Joni have in common with Pepper Adams? (sjc) Pepper Adams (1930-1986) and Joni are the only artists that produced a "tribute" album of exclusively Charles Mingus compositions, during Mingus' lifetime, with Mingus' involvement. Of course, we all know Joni's was at the very end of Mingus' life. Back in 1963, during two days in the studio (September 9 and 12), Pepper completed the recording of a remarkable record ("Pepper Adams Plays Charlie Mingus"). Mingus was involved in the selection of the tunes, and his sidemen were some of the players (though Mingus was not). Mingus (who's own sessions were often plagued with arguments and angry outbursts) watched in astonishment at how smoothly Pepper's session went. All of the professional musicians superbly performed well arranged works, within the time and budget constraints. The reason I mention this is to alert everyone to an amazing release of new historical and musical tribute material on Pepper Adams, including contemporary performances of all of Pepper's compositions. My friend Gary Carner has devoted the last 30 years to researching Pepper Adams, and has immersed himself in the task of preserving Pepper's legacy as a composer, by producing 4 cd's of all of Pepper's compositions, and a 5th volume of the ballads, sung by a gifted vocalist (Alexis Cole), singing new Lyrics by Barry Wallenstein, and arranged by Jeremy Kahn (another small piece of Joni content - Jeremy played piano on Joni's BSN concert in Chicago). Gary has just released an amazing annotated discography covering Pepper's entire life, and the 5 volume box set of recordings. As part of the ongoing celebration of these releases, Sept. 24 begins an entire week of Pepper Adams performances in NYC, with a week in the LA area beginning Oct. 15. Gary and I have been building www.pepperadams.com, which has loads of detail about everything Pepper Adams, including all of the scheduled performances. I'm particularly proud of a feature that lists all of Pepper's compositions (www.pepperadams.com/Compositions/compList/index.html), with detailed information about each one, including mp3 samples of every known recording, cover art, descriptions, and links to where the tunes can be purchased. Thank you for indulging me in this bit of self promotion. Maybe too little Joni content? ~Dan ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 15:34:34 +1000 From: "Pat Boland" Subject: Update and request This was posted but marked njc so i never saw it until Jody Johnson re-posted it to the fb jmdl I am re-posting it because I think everyone needs to know what's up and because I think that's what Joni would want: Jody wrote: "it concerns a long time JMDLer and friend, John van Tiel-or Uncle John to many. Some of you have mentioned that you have not been on the big list for awhile, so hopefully some will read this here.
It's hard enough for John to ask for help, but he posted this to the list earlier."

"Subject: Update and request

... Many of you know of my situation... this is an upgrade. I had a brainstem-stroke in February and in the physical therapy recovery course, I broke my left arm. My brain has had only very little mental damage but I have been paralyzed on the left (left arm and left leg) since my stroke. At the moment an old injury on my left achilles heel has returned so I am unable to walk. Due to my combined stroke/broken arm I could not work. Since February my income has gone down by more sthan 90%. I have been living from my savings. They too are now exhausted.I have by law no right to dole money or sik money because I am selk-employed. Also my bank won't loan me anything (I tried)... The word stroke closed all doors.Yesterday someone from the FB-Jonilist offered to help and advised me to go to the list and ask for financial help by publishing my PayPal address here:. It's johnvantiel@home.nl. Any gift will be welcome, however small. I need the money to eat and pay my rent. I made a big trip sometime ago which was a kind of sabbatical. For that i bought a solid car, which I am not allowed to drive now. My present world consists of my armchair, some music and a circle of movement of about 5 metres in radius. I do have medical help at home and my head is OK, just imprisoned in an immobile body. And I am imprisoned in my home. Miss my friends... miss you all. ... Looking out of my window and wanting to go out... thanks for listening, John" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 12:52:05 -0700 From: Kevin Cade Subject: Joni DVD+R CBC-TV 2006-2007 w/Songwriters Hall of Fame Hello Group, A few years back, a member (whose name, unfortunately, I can't recall b so sorry) very kindly offered copies of a DVD+r featuring several CBC-TV segments of Joni; culminating with her induction into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2007. My disc was rendered unplayable recently and I'm hoping like crazy to get my hands on a replacement. Does anyone have a DVD they'd be willing to duplicate and forward at my expense? If so, please feel free to contact me, either here or off group. I'm desperate for another copy! Thanks, - -KC ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 04:30:40 -0700 (PDT) From: Bob Muller Subject: Re: New Bob Dylan, njc I suppose Yes, I've been streaming it since it came out. Lyrically dense and sonically very enjoyable. I find the melodies to be more original than on his last few records. And pretty dark, overall. A very high body count on this one. His voice is just barely there these days but he's never been a singer's singer. My favorite song on it: "Pay In Blood". Pretty dang amazing that he's still cranking out top-drawer stuff 50 years on. Then again, we Bob's can do some amazing things. Bob ________________________________ From: Jim L'Hommedieu To: JMDL Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:58 PM Subject: New Bob Dylan, njc I suppose Rolling Stone has a big interview with Bob Dylan in the current issue. I picked it up yesterday. Has anyone heard his new album? Jim L'Hommedieu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 13:06:00 +0000 From: Susan Tierney McNamara Subject: RE: Knitting September 22 & Conversations with Joni Knitting is done with two needles, wrapping the yarn around one needle, and then picking it off with another needle and adding more yarn to create fabric. Crochet is done with one hook, making a loop on a hook and wrapping yarn around your finger, and using the hook and more yarn to make more loops that create fabric. There are a bunch of tutorials on youtube if you want to pursue this further. As far as Joni's sewing clothes, she must have started early because in a portion of the Woman of Heart of Mind documentary (that Pat Boland posted a portion of on Facebook yesterday), Joni explained that when she married Chuck Mitchell she made her own wedding gown and all her bridesmaid gowns. I know from experience that this is no easy task; my mother made my wedding gown and all my bridesmaids gowns ( and the same for my two sisters) which pretty much had her a slave to her sewing machine for months. If you look at pictures of Joni on her wedding day, she did an amazing job. Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awZ_CFvlcFI&feature=youtu.be Take care, Sue Susan Tierney McNamara email: sem8@cornell.edu From: est86mlm@ameritech.net [mailto:est86mlm@ameritech.net] Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:04 PM To: Susan Tierney McNamara Cc: Cassy; joni@smoe.org Subject: Knitting September 22 & Conversations with Joni Susan, is it possible to explain the difference between knit and crocheted in simple terms to someone that doesn't know??? You really know the details......purl, garter stitch, etc. That renders me clueless! You would find this interesting. I noticed awhile ago, and was able to find it again, a post from Ed: "....... On the way, Joni spied a string of Shattuck Street stores that had boxes of lace borders and collars, which she enjoyed sifting through." http://jonimitchell.com/chronology/detail.cfm?id=1226 That clues me in that she sewed her own clothes as well. I've just always been fascinated by her clothing.........and her knits/crocheted's in particular. Laura P.S. Here's some interesting knitting trivia I ran across. Did you know that Linda Ronstadt was a knitter? http://www.pinreach.com/pin/271060471292075547 There are quite a few musicians that knit........maybe, like you said, as a stress reliever. On 9/13/2012 12:21 PM, Susan Tierney McNamara wrote: Wow thats beautiful, but its crocheted. If Joni crocheted this I am amazed. The pink dress she wore at the fabulous BBC show had a crocheted inset and im sure it was handmade ... she also sewed a lot of her own clothes. I would love to pick her brain about which items she sewed.herself ... One clue about her expertise knitting ... She said in the pwwm show that she didnt purl so everything she knit looked like chainmail (garter stitch). This indicates pretty basic knitting skills. She probably knits for the same reason I do ... Stress reduction ... She was obviously trying to ward off cold turkey! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 22:34:58 -0700 From: Phyliss Ward Subject: Re: ruby lake We all made it! Long travels, missed ferries, ending with a group dinner at ruby lake. Hugs, stories and laughs. Now rest! Phyliss On Sep 21, 2012, at 3:48 AM, Marianne Rizzo wrote: > Laura, Cassy, Anita, Steph, Phillis and friend, and Pearl > (and the rest of you that I may not know about), > > I know that you are all headed over to Ruby lake today > and tomorrow is the big day! > > I am reading all of your thoughts about it. > I am very excited for all of you. > I am so glad for you and I have a good feeling about everything! > > I am here > from afar > but my heart is with you all. > > sO HAPPY FOR You! > Have a great time! > Hugs for all of you and for Joni. > > LOve Marianne ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 06:48:35 -0400 From: Marianne Rizzo Subject: ruby lake Laura, Cassy, Anita, Steph, Phillis and friend, and Pearl (and the rest of you that I may not know about), I know that you are all headed over to Ruby lake today and tomorrow is the big day! I am reading all of your thoughts about it. I am very excited for all of you. I am so glad for you and I have a good feeling about everything! I am here from afar but my heart is with you all. sO HAPPY FOR You! Have a great time! Hugs for all of you and for Joni. LOve Marianne ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:52:25 -0400 From: jlhommedieu@insight.rr.com Subject: Knitting - -There are quite a few musicians that knit........maybe, like you said, as a stress reliever.- Margo Timmins is another. Jim L Sent from my iPhone ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 20:21:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Stdoherty Subject: Re: onlyJMDL Digest V2012 #309 Just right - I appreciate the information on Pepper Adams ... great musicians need their due amongst music lovers - of which, with JMDL, you have. A pleasure to read your post. Thank you for indulging me in this bit of self promotion. Maybe too little Joni content? ~Dan - -----Original Message----- From: onlyJMDL Digest To: onlyjoni-digest Sent: Sat, Sep 22, 2012 3:03 am Subject: onlyJMDL Digest V2012 #309 onlyJMDL Digest Saturday, September 22 2012 Volume 2012 : Number 309 ========== TOPICS and authors in this Digest: - -------- Re: ruby lake [Phyliss Ward ] What does Joni have in common with Pepper Adams? (sjc) [Dan Olson Subject: Re: ruby lake We all made it! Long travels, missed ferries, ending with a group dinner at ruby lake. Hugs, stories and laughs. Now rest! Phyliss On Sep 21, 2012, at 3:48 AM, Marianne Rizzo wrote: > Laura, Cassy, Anita, Steph, Phillis and friend, and Pearl > (and the rest of you that I may not know about), > > I know that you are all headed over to Ruby lake today > and tomorrow is the big day! > > I am reading all of your thoughts about it. > I am very excited for all of you. > I am so glad for you and I have a good feeling about everything! > > I am here > from afar > but my heart is with you all. > > sO HAPPY FOR You! > Have a great time! > Hugs for all of you and for Joni. > > LOve Marianne - ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 01:13:34 -0500 From: Dan Olson Subject: What does Joni have in common with Pepper Adams? (sjc) Pepper Adams (1930-1986) and Joni are the only artists that produced a "tribute" album of exclusively Charles Mingus compositions, during Mingus' lifetime, with Mingus' involvement. Of course, we all know Joni's was at the very end of Mingus' life. Back in 1963, during two days in the studio (September 9 and 12), Pepper completed the recording of a remarkable record ("Pepper Adams Plays Charlie Mingus"). Mingus was involved in the selection of the tunes, and his sidemen were some of the players (though Mingus was not). Mingus (who's own sessions were often plagued with arguments and angry outbursts) watched in astonishment at how smoothly Pepper's session went. All of the professional musicians superbly performed well arranged works, within the time and budget constraints. The reason I mention this is to alert everyone to an amazing release of new historical and musical tribute material on Pepper Adams, including contemporary performances of all of Pepper's compositions. My friend Gary Carner has devoted the last 30 years to researching Pepper Adams, and has immersed himself in the task of preserving Pepper's legacy as a composer, by producing 4 cd's of all of Pepper's compositions, and a 5th volume of the ballads, sung by a gifted vocalist (Alexis Cole), singing new Lyrics by Barry Wallenstein, and arranged by Jeremy Kahn (another small piece of Joni content - Jeremy played piano on Joni's BSN concert in Chicago). Gary has just released an amazing annotated discography covering Pepper's entire life, and the 5 volume box set of recordings. As part of the ongoing celebration of these releases, Sept. 24 begins an entire week of Pepper Adams performances in NYC, with a week in the LA area beginning Oct. 15. Gary and I have been building www.pepperadams.com, which has loads of detail about everything Pepper Adams, including all of the scheduled performances. I'm particularly proud of a feature that lists all of Pepper's compositions (www.pepperadams.com/Compositions/compList/index.html), with detailed information about each one, including mp3 samples of every known recording, cover art, descriptions, and links to where the tunes can be purchased. Thank you for indulging me in this bit of self promotion. Maybe too little Joni content? ~Dan - ------------------------------ End of onlyJMDL Digest V2012 #309 ********************************* - ------- Post messages to the list by clicking here:mailto:joni@smoe.org Unsubscribe by clicking here: mailto:onlyjoni-digest-request@smoe.org?body=unsubscribe ------------------------------ End of JMDL Digest V2012 #1433 ****************************** ------- To post messages to the list, sendtojoni@smoe.org. Unsubscribe by clicking here: mailto:joni-digest-request@smoe.org?body=unsubscribe -------