From: owner-joni-digest@smoe.org (JMDL Digest) To: joni-digest@smoe.org Subject: JMDL Digest V2012 #1323 Reply-To: joni@smoe.org Sender: owner-joni-digest@smoe.org Errors-To: owner-joni-digest@smoe.org Precedence: bulk Unsubscribe:mailto:joni-digest-request@smoe.org?body=unsubscribe Website:http://jonimitchell.com JMDL Digest Monday, September 10 2012 Volume 2012 : Number 1323 ========== TOPICS and authors in this Digest: -------- Re: Joni - Chuck Marriage and Seperation ["Pat Boland" ] Re: Njc election madness [Lori Fye ] Re: Meaning of life (NJC) [Anita G ] Re: Joni continues to teach now njc [Catherine McKay ] Sweet Joni ["Pat Boland" ] ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 20:29:29 +1000 From: "Pat Boland" Subject: Re: Joni - Chuck Marriage and Seperation Wow, you're right Mark! Nice catch. I wonder if it was intentional or what... > > > from a chat > > http://youtu.be/tLfKcpdFUsk > Joni Mitchell - > Chuck Mitchell Marriage and Separation (Documentary Excerpt) > A look > at Joni's marriage and subsequent divorce to folk singer Chuck > Mitchell. >
 > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVRCigmkbDk&feature=colike > ◦ Joni Mitchell ~ I Had a > King Live
 > > ◦ > Linda Hakes (nee: Barr) How sad for her!! How long were they married > an did she ever get to spend time with her child? > >

Pat Boland Well, Linda, they were still married when you > and I first met them and through most of '67 at least. Interesting story > there: I remember the afternoon when Joni was hanging at the Cellar, > rehearsing and working on her writing... by way of ...explaining to me, > the guy who booked the artists to play the weekends, why she had booked > herself without Chuck. There is much emotional content in that song which > really made sense but the most striking thing was regarding when she said > to me that various venues around the circuit had started requesting Joni > alone to play and so the end result was that at that point she and Chuck > were already booked in advance at separate different clubs far in advance > and wouldn't even be in the same city for the next year! If you know the > song at all you already know where I'm heading with this... of all the > lyrics in this most powerful song the most cryptic is "The king's on > the road and the queen's in the grove till the end of the year" > ...wow. As far as her daughter is concerned, the answer can probably be > found in her interviews from around that time on JM.com. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:21:22 +0200 From: Lori Fye Subject: Re: Njc election madness Jim wrote: > It seems strange that the jmdl hasn't erupted in discussion yet. > Normally we have devolved into name-calling by now. It's better > this way. Paz replied: > thats cause its not worth the flames... I consider it a blessing! It's also due to the existence of Facebook. All along, whether we want to admit it or not, those of us who argued politics on the JMDL mainly did so because we had 1,000 readers who "couldn't" ignore us. Now we have FB, which lets us share graphics and commentary in something even closer to "real time." (Plus, there are options to turn off someone's postings without having to completely unfriend them or shut down your account.) And yes, it is a blessing. We are finally talking mainly about music and other art forms here, which is as it should be. Lori Dotzheim ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:45:28 +0100 From: Anita G Subject: Re: Meaning of life (NJC) Hi John I was unsure whether or not to post about the Olympics, but you have given me 'permission' to add to what you have said. What an amazing, hope filled time it has been, with such great heart and spirit. I wonder if there might be a real change here in the UK? I was fortunate to have a lot of success with my friends in getting Olympics tickets and attended 3 lots of athletics,volleyball, beach volleyball, show jumping, weight lifiting and the women's modern pentathlon - the spirit on the streets was just fabulous, but nothing prepared me for the extraordinary life enhancing experience of the category one dressage at the Paralympics. Many of the riders were born with cerebral palsy and so the effort to stay up straight and steady on the horse was a challenge in itself. The riders and horses needed absolute quiet and stillness so that they were not distracted or frightening and so the 10,000 or so crowd were asked to not clap or cheer when the horses entered or left the arena. As the riders slowly and silently got through their routine of 20 or so walking moves around the square, a pin dropping would have been heard. As they finished, the crowd, holding on to the instinct to clap and cheer, opted to wave like mad at each rider and the rider, once back on the halter with a helper, often waved back. When that happened, we just waved and waved and waved at these riders with their wonderful horses. Sometimes, a rider and horse gave us permission to clap and cheer and, when that happened, it was competely deafening! I was blown away by a Canadian rider, Jody Schloss, whose effort to be able to sit upright on her horse and go through the routine defied belief. The waving was an unusual communication. Joni has the greatest gift with words, but this was wordless - yet the most beautiful I have been privileged to be part of. As we left Greenwich Park, feeling completely humbled and part of something so special, my partner Steph did a common chant used in the UK in football where an opposing team picks on a player and derides them in a fun way by asking them who they are. Steph used it to the crowd on the way out and we all joined in saying 'Usain Bolt? Oooo are ya?' We saw Usain Bolt run the 200 metres, but, throughout my remaining life, it's Jody Schloss in the dressage, so slow and stately, I will never,ever forget, Anita. On 10/09/2012, John McGloin wrote: > It's been a beautiful few weeks in London as well during the Olympics and > Paralympics. There has been such a buzz throughout the city and the Games > have been inspirational and life affirming, especially considering the > achievements we've witnessed on the part of the Paralympic athletes. > Cheers > John ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 04:36:02 -0700 (PDT) From: Catherine McKay Subject: Re: Joni continues to teach now njc Marking this njc at this point. Thanks, Marion. That's what I thought. If it had been "Ice," that might have made sense. Heisenberg does make more sense (now that I've looked it up.) >________________________________ > From: Marion Leffler >To: Catherine McKay >Cc: Lindsay Moon ; Joni List >Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 4:25:25 AM >Subject: Re: Joni continues to teach > > >That would be Iron Mountain. (Ice Mountain - Eisberg in German). >Marion > > >2012/9/9 Catherine McKay > >Now I'm going to have to look that up. I knew it had to mean something. At >>first I thought he was saying "Eisenberg", which is either Iron Mountain or >>Iceberg (my German isn't all that good, so I'm not sure.) >>>________________________________ >>> From: Lindsay Moon >>>To: Joni List >>>Sent: Sunday, September 9, 2012 1:55:21 PM >>>Subject: Joni continues to teach >> >>> >>>Weird discovery. Yesterday I watched a >>youtube of Joni singing "Urge for Going." (posted by Pat?) It was just >>gorgeous and mind-blowing, of course. For some reason I read through the >>comments (some of which erroneously credited Tom Rush with writing it). Way >>on the 7th page of comments someone compared her genius to the Heisenberg >>Uncertainty Principle. The what? Over the past few months, I've gotten >>completely hooked on "Breaking Bad" about a high school chemistry teacher who >>becomes a meth maker who in his many incarnations makes up an alias for >>himself which is Heisenberg. So today, through Joni, I found out why the >>character calls himself that. See? Joni just keeps on teaching me things!! >>> >>>Lindsay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 10:25:25 +0200 From: Marion Leffler Subject: Re: Joni continues to teach That would be Iron Mountain. (Ice Mountain - Eisberg in German). Marion 2012/9/9 Catherine McKay > Now I'm going to have to look that up. I knew it had to mean something. At > first I thought he was saying "Eisenberg", which is either Iron Mountain or > Iceberg (my German isn't all that good, so I'm not sure.) > >________________________________ > > From: Lindsay Moon > >To: Joni List > >Sent: Sunday, September 9, 2012 1:55:21 PM > >Subject: Joni continues to teach > > > >Weird discovery. Yesterday I watched a > youtube of Joni singing "Urge for Going." (posted by Pat?) It was just > gorgeous and mind-blowing, of course. For some reason I read through the > comments (some of which erroneously credited Tom Rush with writing it). > Way > on the 7th page of comments someone compared her genius to the Heisenberg > Uncertainty Principle. The what? Over the past few months, I've gotten > completely hooked on "Breaking Bad" about a high school chemistry teacher > who > becomes a meth maker who in his many incarnations makes up an alias for > himself which is Heisenberg. So today, through Joni, I found out why the > character calls himself that. See? Joni just keeps on teaching me things!! > > > >Lindsay ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 00:52:52 +1000 From: "Pat Boland" Subject: Sweet Joni Neil Young's Love Letter to Joni Mitchell - "Sweet Joni" - 1973 (unreleased) Neil Young's ode to his fellow Canadian, Joni Mitchell, recorded live in 1973 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCBGC2C_jyY&feature=share Sweet Joni from Saskatoon There's a ring for your finger It looks like the sun But it feels like the moon Sweet Joni from Saskatoon Don't go, don't go too soon. Who lives in an old hotel, Near the ancient ruins. Only time can tell, Time can tell. Go easy, the doorman said The floor is slippery, So watch your head. This message read. Sweet Joni from Saskatoon There's a ring for your finger It shines like the sun But it feels like the moon. Sweet Joni from Saskatoon Don't go, don't go too soon. ------------------------------ End of JMDL Digest V2012 #1323 ****************************** ------- To post messages to the list, sendtojoni@smoe.org. Unsubscribe by clicking here: mailto:joni-digest-request@smoe.org?body=unsubscribe -------