From: les@jmdl.com (JMDL Digest) To: joni-digest@smoe.org Subject: JMDL Digest V4 #180 Reply-To: joni@smoe.org Sender: les@jmdl.com Errors-To: les@jmdl.com Precedence: bulk JMDL Digest Saturday, April 24 1999 Volume 04 : Number 180 TapeTree #8 is ready to roll. To sign up go to: http://www.jmdl.com/trading ------- Join the Joni Mitchell Internet Community Glossary project. Send a blank message to for all the details. ------- The Official Joni Mitchell Homepage is maintained by Wally Breese at http://www.jonimitchell.com and contains the latest news, a detailed bio, original interviews and essays, lyrics, and much more. ------- The JMDL website can be found at http://www.jmdl.com and contains interviews, articles, the member gallery, archives, and much more. ========== TOPICS and authors in this Digest: -------- The Colorado Thread - NJC [Les Irvin ] Re: Peter Gabriel, Anne Sexton, Laurie Anderson (NJC) [Ginamu@aol.com] Re: Peter Gabriel, Anne Sexton, Laurie Anderson (NJC) ["Don Rowe" ] more on the NRA, Joni's fingernails - Some Joni Content [CarltonCT@aol.co] Re: Peter Gabriel, Anne Sexton, Laurie Anderson (NJC) [Jerry Notaro ] David Lahm: Jazz takes on... [Louis Lynch ] (NJC) Re:THE TRENCHCOAT KIDS WEBSITES [MDESTE1@aol.com] Re: Peter Gabriel, Anne Sexton, Laurie Anderson (NJC) [Ginamu@aol.com] Re: Colorado -- The German Connection (NJC) [catman ] Re: NJC: Parenting [CaTGirl627@aol.com] Re: joni and massive attack [CaTGirl627@aol.com] combat the hate, the fear, the prejudice [Lisa Kowalski ] Colorado [Lisa Kowalski ] Re: Comes Love (VLJC) [Joseph Palis ] Happy the Man [IVPAUL42@aol.com] Re: Joni's Radiance ["Kakki" ] ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:10:55 -0600 From: Les Irvin Subject: The Colorado Thread - NJC NoJoniContentians - Is there anyone out there willing to compile this fantastic Colorado thread for the website? Respond privately if so. Take care, Les ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 16:06:48 EDT From: Ginamu@aol.com Subject: Re: Peter Gabriel, Anne Sexton, Laurie Anderson (NJC) In a message dated 4/23/99 1:47:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jpalis@kssp.upd.edu.ph writes: > I am a big fan of Peter Gabriel (did you hear his duet with Paula Cole in > the latter's album?) but must confess that I have yet to find out about > Laurie Anderson. I understand she is Canadian avant-garde singer. Is her > singing "accessible" or an acquired taste? Does she sing at all? > Laurie Anderson was born in Chicago and as far as I know, there is no Canadian connection. This is my own interpretation of her work and not to be taken definitively. I think of her as a "performance" artist. She is sort of a combination of poet, musician, philosopher, artist, technowiz and several other things I can't describe. She did sort of begin to sing, I guess, with the album Strange Angels. But it's sort spoken word-like singing. To me she is weird, brilliant, very artistic in a way that sometimes turns people off (I've heard words like pretentious, inaccessible, garbage, arty-fartsy, annoying, unmusical, etc) and her use of electronics and that whole bag appears to me all at once fascination and a repulsion, on her part. I personally respond to the poet and "essayist" in her. I couldn't care less about the electronics except that they are used as a way to get her work across. That she makes me laugh and smile, think, react, feel and contemplate is what I care most about. There are many things about her work I've yet to discover and I'm looking forward to it. I found her work very easy to digest right away but it's one of those things: with performance artists, I tend to either like someone right away or be automatically turned off. I guess it depends on what your exposure is and what you like or want to think about. Any other Laurie Anderson fans out there want to add and/or elaborate upon my meager two cents? Take care, Gina NP: Slow Emotion Replay from Dusk by The The PS. Is PG's new album out now or are you referring to a duet on Paula Cole's? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 13:29:21 PDT From: "Don Rowe" Subject: Re: Peter Gabriel, Anne Sexton, Laurie Anderson (NJC) On Laurie Anderson ... Gina admits some find her ... >pretentious, annoying, unmusical, etc. Hate to say it, but I'm one of those people. Although looking back, it might not be Laurie Anderson's work, but rather the people who worshipped her that I found so pretentious, annoying and unmusical, and maybe they forever poisoned my wells. To me she's like The Velvet Underground, claiming to "get it" imparts a vague sense of implied superior ultra-cool that some folks get off on. I will say one thing, if there was ever an anti-joni, Laurie Anderson would win going away ... Don Rowe _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:56:55 -0500 From: The Humphreys Subject: computer troubles (NJC) Just a quick blurb...my computer crashed, alas, and I haven't gotten about 2 wks. worth of email. For those of you that haven't heard from me and may have sent private messages, my apologies and please try again. Sorry for using the digest for this type of message, but I have a lot of friends here and don't want to seem neglectful. Thanks guys! Suzanne NP: Pushing Up Daisies--Kevin Welch ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:02:59 EDT From: CarltonCT@aol.com Subject: more on the NRA, Joni's fingernails - Some Joni Content I must disagree with Winfried on his comments about the National Rifle Association. As I mentioned, I am friendly with many men where I work who are members of the NRA and read gun magazines on their lunch breaks. So, questions about whether individual members are "evil" or not is beside the point. The NRA is the chief organization in this country which successfully lobbies against gun reform. It is well known that they target any candidate who speaks up on behalf of gun reform -- as I wrote in my last post, Senator Feinstein has stated that they have a "stranglehold" on Congress. They simply do. I am disappointed to learn that the President's response for more gun regulation in response to Columbine is a weak one which does not get at the root of the problem. But I am sure he does not want to do anything which will weaken Gore's chances of being elected as well as the chance to usher in a Democratically controlled congress. I am sure that among the Nazis there were some nice people who didn't comply with or believe entirely in Hitler's agenda. But they were part of an organization whose primary intentions were antisocial and destructive to an extreme. The NRA is the organization to defeat if we want change our legislation and we must demand that they take partial responsibility for the tragedy in Colorado. The right to life itself and to live in a gun free environment is infinitely more important than the right to bear arms. Part of my last post was deleted somehow -- I was mentioning that a friend of mine was returning to her apartment when she was held up by three teens with three guns. If she had her own gun, it would have been pointless and even deadly to shoot at them. We need strict punishment for what is an extreme act: the threatened use of a deadly weapon. She has been traumatized for well over a month and is otherwise a very strong person. On a lighter note, with Howard's advice, I have decided to let my fingernails on my right hand grow to get a more Joni like sound on my guitar. I am going to rewrite a famous Crosby song: Almost Cut my nails.... I have no plans at this time to paint them -- clear, or colored, or to fix them with Lee Press Ons should they suddenly break. And just what the hell is a nail wrap anyway? Clark ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:16:13 -0500 From: Jerry Notaro Subject: Re: Peter Gabriel, Anne Sexton, Laurie Anderson (NJC) I too am a big Laurie Anderson fan, though she more speaks poetry to modern music, mostly electronic, than sings. I saw her last year in a small venue and she was brilliant. She has been with Lou Reed for a few years and he was sitting at the table next to us. She is also an accomplished violinest. Jerry ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:40:04 -0400 From: Janet Hess Subject: Re: Peter Gabriel, Anne Sexton, Laurie Anderson (NJC) I like Laurie Anderson very much. I can understand Don's reaction here, but it's one I don't share. I *especially* don't think of LA as "an anti-joni," even though I can't conjur LA singing "Circle Game." By contrast, it's not hard to imagine Joni singing LA's "Ramon." FWIW, about four years ago I got to spend some time with Laurie Anderson. I'd had a front-row seat for her show at the Lisner in DC and the next night attended a party for her. Spent a chunk of time sitting next to her. I found her charming, friendly, generous and very, very funny. Although the party was clogged with people who would have worshipped her whim (me, for example), she seemed far more focused on simply hanging out with a bunch of people. I have no idea, of course, how Laurie Anderson's persona at the party corresponds to Laurie Anderson the person. But the LA at the party was wholly grounded and anything but pretentious. Plus which, I think that Laurie (born in 1947) and Joni are remarkable examples of women who show us all (including me, born in 1948) that it's entirely possible to improve and even flourish with age. Cheerz, Janet, certified Old Fart At 01:29 PM 4/23/1999 PDT, Don Rowe wrote: >On Laurie Anderson ... Gina admits some find her ... > >>pretentious, annoying, unmusical, etc. > >Hate to say it, but I'm one of those people. Although looking back, >it might not be Laurie Anderson's work, but rather the people who >worshipped her that I found so pretentious, annoying and unmusical, >and maybe they forever poisoned my wells. To me she's like The Velvet >Underground, claiming to "get it" imparts a vague sense of implied >superior ultra-cool that some folks get off on. > >I will say one thing, if there was ever an anti-joni, Laurie Anderson >would win going away ... > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:00:37 -0400 From: Vince Lavieri Subject: Wise words, NJC > By the same token, just this week I was "offered" the opportunity to take a > 3-month assignment in Houston - I declined due to family & community > obligations...now maybe I'll lose my job but I still think I made the right > call... > > Bob > Bob, it is the right call, and I pray things work out all ok for you and family. > > > ------------------------------ > > > From: Brett Code > > > Clark has it right. The guns have got to go. My own view is that all guns should be banned permanently and so should their manufacture. They serve no useful purpose. Brett and Clark, right on! > > > > From: Bill Dollinger > > > Lay down your arms, study war no more. Exactly right. > > > - (I wish I could apologize to everyone who's ever been hurt > or baffled by a Christian, in the name of Christianity, as I've been > hurt in that regard too.) > > > > (Sorry if this has been to simplistic reasoning for many of ya'll) > > Penny, that was very well said, and your entire post was so exactly right! > As the millennium is upon us, men (and I realize I'm generalizing here, but > the problem is a problem of masculinity and therefore a problem that belongs > to men) don't seem to know how to respond to our rapidly changing > environment. > > What is it with young white men? > PX Paul, again, you say it so well. > > > > "Hitler's murderous Children," splashed Germany's Bild newspaper, > reporting the links between the Nazi leader and teenage gunmen Eric Harris > and Dylan Klebold who shot themselves after taking lives of 13 others in > Littleton, Colorado on Tuesday. > > "Adolf Hitler, this horrific dictator, is still causing suffering and ruin > decades > after his death," the paper said. > Winfreid, that you for sharing that with us. As we remember those suffering in Littleton, let us also remember the refugees and suffering families of Kosovo, and the Yugoslavs who are not a part of Milosevic's murderous minions who are experiencing the bombing, and all people everywhere who are in need. And remember the working mothers and financially strapped families, whose situation was expressed so eloquently on the JMDL. And here I sit, in my safe home, with my computer and electronics and music collections and everything else that I have, thinking I have it so tough sometimes. But I am blessed by the wise words of so many folks in here, those I quoted and others as well. (the Rev) Vince ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:56:39 -0700 From: Louis Lynch Subject: David Lahm: Jazz takes on... Just received my copy of "Jazz Takes On Joni Mitchell." Her melodies are beautiful as always, and I'm glad to see her honored in such a way. But without her lyrics and her voice, it reminds me of the time I heard a Muzak version of "Help Me." The fact that her style shines through the more annoying jazz trappings is a monument to her musical genius. I don't think the drummer understands what it's all about, though. I've always been open-minded about things, and I can appreciate the jazz idiom and the reason why a jazz composer would take on the project. The playing is good, too. But can someone explain why I feel so violated with what they did to "Coyote"? Yuck! Harper Lou ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:50:03 EDT From: MDESTE1@aol.com Subject: (NJC) Re:THE TRENCHCOAT KIDS WEBSITES I tried to send this earlier but it apparently doesnt come out. Im no webmaster so I decided rather than trying to resend it I will simply print the web address so anyone who wants can go there themself and see it for real. We can debate and discuss all we want but it helps to go to the horses mouth. The address of the kids websites are http://zepplin.cnchost.com http://www.toddzilla.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:58:16 EDT From: Ginamu@aol.com Subject: Re: Peter Gabriel, Anne Sexton, Laurie Anderson (NJC) In a message dated 4/23/99 4:33:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dgrowe@hotmail.com writes: > Hate to say it, but I'm one of those people. Although looking back, > it might not be Laurie Anderson's work, but rather the people who > worshipped her that I found so pretentious, annoying and unmusical, > and maybe they forever poisoned my wells. To me she's like The Velvet > Underground, claiming to "get it" imparts a vague sense of implied > superior ultra-cool that some folks get off on. Speaking only for myself, I'd say that at almost 40, I couldn't care less about "superior ultra-cool" . I try not to let an artist's audience influence my appreciation of that artist's work. Gee, if I looked at it that way, I would probably never explore art either, or classical music or good literature. Take care, Gina ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 01:33:35 +0100 From: catman Subject: Re: Colorado -- The German Connection (NJC) Mr Hitler was in now way a healthy individual. However, why is it forgotten that he could not have got anywhere if it were not for the other people who allowed him? The German people followed him, knowing what he was doing to the Jews and others. There were those in the SS, those in the camps, those who switiched the switches, those who pulled the trigger, those who hearded and murdered. Why do we blame it all on one man? There were plenty of Nazi symapthizers in this country,(UK).Is it because it is too uncomfortable to recognize the culpability of countless others? bw colin ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 20:39:20 EDT From: CaTGirl627@aol.com Subject: Re: Peter Gabriel, Anne Sexton, Laurie Anderson (NJC) In a message dated 4/23/1999 1:47:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jpalis@kssp.upd.edu.ph writes: << Wow!! Yeah!!! I'm a big Gabriel fan, as well as Laurie Anderson. I am a big fan of Peter Gabriel (did you hear his duet with Paula Cole in the latter's album?) but must confess that I have yet to find out about Laurie Anderson. I understand she is Canadian avant-garde singer. Is her singing "accessible" or an acquired taste? Does she sing at all? Thanks Joseph >> I saw her in Philadelphia at the Academy of Music. (great venue- it is an old opera house-very cool and spirally) I won tickets and got back stage passes and hung out with her. she is a small petite women who is very nice. She does multi-media work and she plays violin, guitar, keybords and does voice over-lays. It was a great show and even cooler meeting her! CAtgirl ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 20:46:37 EDT From: CaTGirl627@aol.com Subject: Re: I BEG OF YOU (NJC) In a message dated 4/23/1999 2:01:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jpalis@kssp.upd.edu.ph writes: << > It is a tremendous comfort to me not to have that stupid box and its contents > in my home. I hate it. It makes feel ill, just as drugs would taken by > someone who does not need them. > I don't like the side effects. > >> I must say I do watch TV. I have ssen some great things too. I am not a TV junkie but I love the Discovery channel, Comedy central, VH1-specials (especially when I saw Joni on it) and I have managed to tape alot of Joni off the TV. she has been on Letterman, Leno, Good Morning America, etc. I do not watch much TV but I do like a few shows, inclucing Seinfield, Alley McBeal, Homocide, The Sopranos, Kids in the Hall, and that is about it! Catgirl ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 20:51:23 EDT From: CaTGirl627@aol.com Subject: Re: scary Americans (NJC) In a message dated 4/23/1999 4:17:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, CarltonCT@aol.com writes: << Little kids packing guns to school...." Clark >> Clark, That was so well put. I will keep your post in my files. BRAVO!!! Catgirl ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 21:01:05 EDT From: MDESTE1@aol.com Subject: (NJC) LOCAL REPORT-COLORADO AFTERMATH - --part1_426c03f6.245271d1_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Its always good to see an on sight followup report. This gives an idea of the facts as they are being revealed. - --part1_426c03f6.245271d1_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; name="SENTINEL" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; filename="SENTINEL"
Subject: Daily Sentinel: "Boys would hold hands in the halls some=
times"
From: Bill Nalty
Date: Fri, Apr 23, 1999 00:29 EDT

http://gjsentinel.com/
http://gjsentinel.com/news/1999/04/22littleton4.html

The Daily Sentinel (Grand Junction, CO)
April 22, 1999

Who were Klebold and Harris?

By C. PATRICK CLEARY
The Daily Sentinel

LITTLETON - They ate lunch alone under the stairs.

They augmented the black trench coats with black lipstick, eye shadow,
black trousers and baseball caps.

They increasingly kept to themselves this year. When they got strikes
during early morning bowling classes this spring they would look at each
other and do the Nazi salute.

"You guys, that is stupid," John House, a 17-year-old Columbine High
School junior, said he would tell Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold when the
two would give the Nazi salute at the bowling alley. "They would just
look at me."

Harris and Klebold did not show up for bowling class on Tuesday morning.

House said it was hard not to notice. Those two and two others, dressed
in black, stuck together as if glued, he said.

The jocks didn't like them. They didn't like the jocks.

Witnesses said when they went into the school library carrying guns,
they ordered the "jocks" to stand up.

When nobody stood, they announced that everybody wearing baseball caps
or clothing with sports logos would die, said Joshua Lapp, a 16-year-old
sophomore.

They then carried out their own brand of sport.

"After they shot somebody they acted like it was a football game and
they won," said Lapp, who escaped the library after 45 horrifying
minutes. "After (people would) get shot they'd scream and they'd keep
shooting until they stopped screaming."

Harris used to be a jock. He played soccer for his first three years at
Columbine. He lived in a neighborhood near Chatfield Reservoir, the
epitome of suburban America. White sidewalks on cul-de-sacs with
two-story houses built in the 1980s.

Klebold, too, lived in a neighborhood of more affluent standing.

However, something went wrong between the blue jeans and white T-shirts
of last year and Tuesday.

They turned to black. They began to wear swastikas on their backpacks.
They listened to high-powered techno rock music from Germany and
proclaimed worship of Adolf Hitler, said Jon Vandermark, a 16-year-old
sophomore.

Some members of the group said they were bisexual, Vandermark said.

"Boys would hold hands in the halls sometimes," he said.

They also attended classes. They were bright students who loved to play
video games. Acquaintances remembered them as quiet but friendly.

Many students said they knew both, but not that well.

Harris and Klebold's hatred brewed from a perception of being outcasts,
picked on, laughed at. They were called freaks, homos and everything in
between.

Junior Nicole Shieve watched as the two, and others in the group, kept
getting picked on during school.

Harris and Klebold withdrew into a world few students understood. The
two emerged Tuesday.

"That's not what they look like," 18-year-old Janine Roberts said
Wednesday morning as the 1998 high school yearbook pictures of the two
were flashed, again, on the television screen. "Eric had long, blond
hair," she said. "The other guy was just dirty looking."

Roberts walked by the two as they entered the school just before 11:30
a.m. Tuesday and smiled at them. They smiled back. Before she knew it,
they had turned around and were shooting at her and her friend outside
the building.

Roberts was not hit. A few seconds later a bomb exploded nearly in her
face.

"It didn't just happen," she said. "It was intended. It was planned."

Harris was small. Klebold was tall. Students couldn't really decide if
one was the leader and the other the follower.

Their group, the 'Trench Coat Mafia,' has reportedly been around for a
few years. Some say that it began to lose some of its luster when many
of the members graduated last year. Neither Klebold nor Harris was in a
photograph of the group in last year's yearbook.

One former student, Jessica, said she remembers how nice and helpful
Harris was last year. He made sure her day was going well. The two spoke
often during the year. Then during the summer, Harris would show up
where she worked about every other weekend. Every time, something a bit
different about him concerned her.

Then came the trench coat. Then she no longer saw him.

Junior Jesse Boyer said when Harris returned to school this year, Boyer
decided not to associate with him or Klebold. The trench coats took the
place of soccer.

"He was a jock for so long," Boyer said. "Now he was into Nazi stuff."

Klebold was a smart kid from a loving home, said Nick Baumgart, a
17-year-old senior who was in the same Boy Scout group.

But he changed and began to hang out with Harris, who Baumgart described
as violent.

The two suspects hinted at a plan to "do something for them to remember
us by," said Eric Veik, a 16-year-old student.

"I guess yesterday they just decided they weren't going to take anymore
crap and they got back," Veik said.

"They wanted to die," Roberts said. "They were so full of hate. You
can't go to school with bombs and guns and expect to come out alive.
They were so full of hate to take everyone with them."

Daily Sentinel staff writer Chris Barker contributed to this story.

=A9 Copyright 1999

- --part1_426c03f6.245271d1_boundary-- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:15:25 -0700 From: Leslie Mixon Subject: Comes Love For those of you who search out every version of a song that you love, I recommend Carmen McRae's version of "Comes Love." I found it on an album called, "This Is Carmen McRae." It has more of a "soul" feel than Ella's, Billie's or even, Joni's. Leslie ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 21:07:56 EDT From: CaTGirl627@aol.com Subject: Re: NJC: Parenting In a message dated 4/23/1999 10:01:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, MGVal@aol.com writes: << One of the saddest fallacies parents allow themselves is >this nonsense of "quality time"; that is, that it's OK to dump babies in >daycare for 12 hours a day as long as we take 'em to Chuck E. Cheese once a >week! There's nothing, especially "quality time", that replaces "quantity >time" with children, just being together, reading books, playing board games, > I just wanted to add a quick comment to this one: As a single parent with inadequate child support and budget anxieties that sour my stomach, sometimes parents allow themselves the concept of "quality time" because they do not have any alternative. I know that there are parents who abuse this concept, but many of us are torn between the economic realities of housing, food and clothing and "quantity time" with our children. Just my .02 before dashing off to punch the clock.... MG >> I think the concept we were both getting at is that WE reaslly need to take extra time to do things with our kids. I used to be a single parent for about 7 years. I know how hard it is. But the time that we have with our kids is so short in the scheme of things...befor you know it they are out of the house doing their own thing. Growing up flies by. The time that we have is so vital for their own mental well being as well as our own. I wish I had those years back with my son. Now that he is 15, it is like pulling teeth just to get him to go to the park for a walk. I am glad that we had those times befor....they just fly by so quickly! Catgirl ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 21:35:30 EDT From: CaTGirl627@aol.com Subject: Re: joni and massive attack In a message dated 4/23/1999 2:45:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, les@jmdl.com writes: << and while i'm here. Any ideas on 'lead balloon'? Is it about anyone in particular (David Geffen for example) or just a type. Not that I expect a definitive answer but its fun to speculate. >> I would like to know who this is about *Everything for nothing*...any one know? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 21:20:55 From: Lisa Kowalski Subject: combat the hate, the fear, the prejudice >From: fuzzbear@mindspring.com >To: "BRYCE B DUNAVENT" , > "Ann Gibbs" , > "Bambi A. Bloom" , > "Bell, William M." , , > "Dingler, Dena" , > "Donna Brannon" , > "GardenSmith" , > "Haney, Philip" , > "Janet Patterson" , > "Janice Reno" , > "Jenkins, Teresa" , > "Lanning, Rosalie E" , > "Lastinger, Derrick" , > "Leard, Jack" , > "Lisa Kowalski" , > "Lora Lee" , > "Marty Oellerich" , > "Richard Mansker" , > "Schronce, Arty" , > "Smith, Barry" >Subject: combat the hate, the fear, the prejudice >Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:46:33 -0400 >X-MSMail-Priority: Normal >X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3110.1 >X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3 > > >-----Original Message----- >From: Byrd, William >To: 'fuzzbear@mindspring.com' >Date: Friday, April 23, 1999 11:26 AM > > >> > A friend forwarded this to me and its a lovely idea so I'm passing >>it on >> > to >> > you: >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > As I was driving to work this morning I passed by an elementary >>school and >> > noticed that the flag had been lowered to half-mast in memory of >>the >> > students and their families in Littleton, Colorado. What a >> > wonderful gesture that simple act is. But, I thought to myself, >>what can I >> > do to show others that I too am deeply affected by this tragedy. >> > >> > Turn on a light. Turn on my headlights. Turn on my porch light. >>But how >> > do >> > I get this message to others? Use the Internet. I'm sending this >>message >> > to >> > everyone on my email list and am asking that you do the same. >> > >> > I am going to turn on my headlights on Friday morning on my way to >>work, >> > on >> > Saturday as I run my errands and especially on Sunday as I go to >>my place >> > of worship. I'm also going to turn on my porch lights on Friday, >> > Saturday and Sunday night. >> > >> > I'm going to turn on my lights for the families in Littleton to >>show them >> > that I care about them, that I feel the pain and hurt and >>heartache. >> > I'm going to turn on my lights for what is right about this >>country. I'm >> > going to turn on my lights against the darkness, the anger and the >> > prejudice. I hope you will join me. One light is not much but put >>them >> > together and we can light up the world. >> > >> > Turn on your lights - show that you stand for what is right about >> > America. >> > And as you turn on your headlights and porch lights this weekend; >> > turn on the light in your heart and soul. Show the world that this >>is not >> > what America is all about. With your light shining bright, along >>with >> > others, we >> > can come together (if only for a brief moment) and combat the evil >>that >> > confronts us all. >> > >> > Please pass this email on to everyone on your address list. Let's >>see if >> > we >> > can get this message to everyone across this great country before >>Friday >> > morning and let's use the Internet for what it was >> > intended - good. >> > >> > Turn on your headlights >> > Friday, Saturday and Sunday >> > April 23, 24, and 25 >> > >> > Turn on your porch lights >> > Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night >> > April 23, 24, and 25 >> > >> > Light up America. Show that you care about what is right about >>our >> > country. >> > >> > Pass this email along as soon as possible. >> > >> > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 19:46:47 -0700 From: "Kakki" Subject: Re: (NJC) Re:THE TRENCHCOAT KIDS WEBSITES I was unable to access the zepplin site - it seems that some of the main or associated sites have been removed from the web. I read through the toddzilla site and now seriously have a headache and am sick to my stomach. I would be very interested in the thoughts of the professionals on the list (psychologists, therapists, etc.) who have reviewed the site. Kakki > We can debate and discuss all we want but it helps to go to the horses > mouth. The address of the kids websites are > http://zepplin.cnchost.com > http://www.toddzilla.com > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 22:19:40 From: Lisa Kowalski Subject: Colorado Hi Everybody Last week before the tragedy in Colorado I was thinking about the tragedy taking place in Kosovo.I was talking to a friend and saying how lucky we were that we live in the USA where nothing like that(what was taking place in Kosovo)could possibly happen here..then Colorado happened which got me to thinking about the "ethnic cleansing" that was taking place in Kosovo...and I thought isnt that what these teenagers were doing in a way? a "cleansing" or purging of certain individuals that they hated .They did target a specific "type"(athletes,straight A students,students with strong religious beliefs)...Just a thought... Then at work tonight(I'm a nurse in an Intensive Care Unit) a patients husband was very irate at one of the nurses regarding a minor problem.You could hear him yelling down the hall and into the pts rooms.He calmed down for a while and then 4hrs later decided to walk into the nurses station where we were all sitting(about 4 nurses and proceed to complain some more...before he left he yelled at us all..."Colorado will seem like nothing when I'm thru with you all!!!" Well let me tell you,I turned as white as a ghost,could feel my heart drop into my stomach and toes,and felt as cold as ice! Everyone just sat there in complete shock.It was hard to believe he could say such a thing! I said,"Well are we going to do something about this?He just made a serious threat! Well,nobody did a thing and just went back to work,except yours truly here.I called the nursing supervisor and told her word for word what he said and that I felt it should be taken seriously(you just never know,do you?and I wasnt about to dismiss it!)I also told the security officer that walked me to my car tonight what had happened,plus I said a prayer for my co-workers on the way home.(I felt I did my part) Before all this happend I was thinking about what happened in Colorado and said to someone"Boy am I glad I dont go to school and that I'm not a teacher" It kinda sounded like,"Boy am I glad I live in the USA!" and now I realize that there is no place where you are completely safe.I have had major feelings of anxiety and fear upon hearing about Kosovo and Colorado and I was trying desparately to reassure myself that nothing like these tragedys would ever happen to me because I live in the USA or I dont go to school,but I realized after tonight that no one is immune from hate and violence....it can happen anywhere and to anyone...not very reassuring is it?... I am filled with sadness and great concern regarding what is taking place in this world...I think I'll do some more praying... Respectfully.....Lisa ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 14:04:21 +0800 (PST) From: Joseph Palis Subject: Re: Comes Love (VLJC) Thanks for the info, Leslie. I like "Comes Love" as a song and if you get the chance to hear Dianne Reeves' version (from her QUIET AFTER THE STORM album, which btw also includes a near definitive version of Joni's "Both Sides Now" <--- the voice and piano arrangement is superb), then you will probably compare it with Carmen's. I am a big fan of Carmen McRae, too and I read in her album's liner notes that a waitress used to cry everytime she listens to Carmen because Carmen seems to locate the heart of a song with her singing alone. Joseph (collects CDs of jazz singers from Eddie Jefferson to Kurt Elling) On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Leslie Mixon wrote: > For those of you who search out every version of a song that you love, I > recommend Carmen McRae's version of "Comes Love." I found it on an > album called, "This Is Carmen McRae." > > It has more of a "soul" feel than Ella's, Billie's or even, Joni's. > > Leslie > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 01:38:07 EDT From: IVPAUL42@aol.com Subject: Happy the Man Is Happy the Man still on the list? If so, please e-mail me off-list for information you requested. Paul I ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 22:32:56 -0700 From: "Kakki" Subject: Re: Joni's Radiance Nicholas Bates wrote: > Re "painting with.......", there may be something wrong with my ear but I > think the sound is fine - and find the singing to be among JM's best. I > think the whole package is just great but was interested in someones > comments about video enhancement (do you mean something which makes the > wrinkles dissappear?). JM certainly looks radiant on camera, suggesting > that maybe she really had had a facelift (not our Joan!), but maybe its > just 'video enhancement'! I guarantee you there is no enhancement on the video. If anything, it does not fully show her real beauty. I was there and was amazed at how stunning she looked up close. I have never seen auras around people as some have claimed to see, but I did see something those nights of the tapings and it was more than the lighting effects. She had a visible golden glow radiating around her. When people are glowing they always seem to appear 10-20 years younger than their age. After the first taping night some of us met her outside in the dark with only a few building lights on. She still glowed. I was inches from her face for a few seconds (she seems to have a habit, mentioned here by others who've met her, of getting right up in your face when she speaks with you) and I did do a quick scan for wrinkles, thinking her make-up was miraculous that night. I truly did not see any. However, there are all kinds of new-fangled ways to eliminate wrinkles these days without surgery, so while she may be able to technically say she has not had a facelift, she may have had laser treatments, botox or collagen injections, or, ahem, as some suggested, a (don't try this at home, kids) base coat of Preparation H before the make-up was applied. ;-) Kakki ------------------------------ End of JMDL Digest V4 #180 ************************** There is now a JMDL tape trading list. Interested traders can get more details at http://www.jmdl.com/trading ------- The Song and Album Voting Booths are open again! Cast your votes by clicking the links at http://www.jmdl.com/gallery username: jimdle password: siquomb ------- Don't forget about these ongoing projects: FAQ Project: Help compile the JMDL FAQ. Do you have mailing list-related questions? -send them to Trivia Project: Send your Joni trivia questions and/or answers to Today in History Project: Know of a date-specific Joni fact? -send it to ------- Post messages to the list at Unsubscribe by sending "unsubscribe joni-digest" to ------- Siquomb, isn't she?