From: owner-ecto-digest@smoe.org (ecto-digest) To: ecto-digest@smoe.org Subject: ecto-digest V16 #1679 Reply-To: ecto@smoe.org Sender: owner-ecto-digest@smoe.org Errors-To: owner-ecto-digest@smoe.org Precedence: bulk ecto-digest Wednesday, April 20 2016 Volume 16 : Number 1679 To unsubscribe: e-mail ecto-digest-request@smoe.org and put the word unsubscribe in the message body. Today's Subjects: ----------------- Re: question for those who've seen heather nova on this tour [Tim Jones-Y] Re: question for those who've seen heather nova on this tour [Greg Dunn <] Re: question for those who've seen heather nova on this tour [Tim Jones-Y] Re: question for those who've seen heather nova on this tour [Greg Dunn <] Guardian article about Mary Margaret O'Hara [Neile Graham Subject: Re: question for those who've seen heather nova on this tour What'd y'all think of that dude (the opener?). His sound struck me as being similar to Heather's Glow Stars album, if you played every song at the exact same tempo, and replaced her voice with something much wobblier and lacking in dynamic range. On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Greg Dunn wrote: > I concur with the others - she had an opener in Ann Arbor and it took just > under an hour for him to do his set and for her to prepare. I would expect > her actual start time to be right at or before 9. > > On 4/16/16 4:05 PM, jessica spurling wrote: > > Hi! I have a ticket to see Heather Nova this coming Tuesday. Tuesday also > > happens to be my book club night, and I really don't want to miss book > > club. I'm hoping I can drop in to book club for a short visit and leave > > early and still catch Heather Nova. I believe there is someone opening > for > > her (Chris Riffle). Those of you who've seen her on this tour, did you > see > > her with an opener? should I expect her to go on about an hour after > "show > > time"? doors are at 7, show at 8, do you think it is OK if I aim to get > > there at 9? > > > > -jessica > > > > > -- >

------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 14:28:53 -0400 From: Greg Dunn Subject: Re: question for those who've seen heather nova on this tour I was going to gallantly refrain from commenting, but since you opened the door... ;-) I usually don't focus on lyrics when first listening to a performer, but in this case - I don't think I've ever heard anyone use so many clichC)d phrases in songwriting. The constant rhymes of "wall/small", "see/me", "night/light", "sky/cry/lie"... It got to the point where I was trying to guess the next line just to keep myself from zoning out. He also seemed to use nothing but repetitively strummed power chord (barre chord) variants, even though the chord sequences were sometimes catchy. I know, we can't all start out like Paul Simon or Leonard Cohen, but the stark contrast with Heather's writing was jarring to say the least. On 4/19/16 11:35 AM, Tim Jones-Yelvington wrote: > What'd y'all think of that dude (the opener?). His sound struck me as being > similar to Heather's Glow Stars album, if you played every song at the > exact same tempo, and replaced her voice with something much wobblier and > lacking in dynamic range. > > On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Greg Dunn wrote: > >> I concur with the others - she had an opener in Ann Arbor and it took just >> under an hour for him to do his set and for her to prepare. I would expect >> her actual start time to be right at or before 9. >> >> On 4/16/16 4:05 PM, jessica spurling wrote: >>> Hi! I have a ticket to see Heather Nova this coming Tuesday. Tuesday also >>> happens to be my book club night, and I really don't want to miss book >>> club. I'm hoping I can drop in to book club for a short visit and leave >>> early and still catch Heather Nova. I believe there is someone opening >> for >>> her (Chris Riffle). Those of you who've seen her on this tour, did you >> see >>> her with an opener? should I expect her to go on about an hour after >> "show >>> time"? doors are at 7, show at 8, do you think it is OK if I aim to get >>> there at 9? >>> >>> -jessica >>> >> >> >> -- >>
>> | Greg Dunn                       | I shut out acceptance so I won't |
>> | gregdunn@indy.net               | get hurt; and move on to the next|
>> | The Sultan of Slack(tm)         | one who will treat me like dirt. |
>> | http://www.indy.net/~gregdunn/  |                Patti Rothberg    |
>>
> - --
| Greg Dunn                       | god money's not looking for the  |
| gregdunn@indy.net               | cure.  god money's not concerned |
| The Sultan of Slack(tm)         | with the sick among the pure.    |
| http://www.indy.net/~gregdunn/  |                Trent Reznor      |
------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 13:48:02 -0500 From: Tim Jones-Yelvington Subject: Re: question for those who've seen heather nova on this tour It was all very minor key or open tunings, tho know? I remember thinking everything had that spaced out, slightly dugged up moody 90s vibe. On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Greg Dunn wrote: > I was going to gallantly refrain from commenting, but since you opened the > door... ;-) > > I usually don't focus on lyrics when first listening to a performer, but > in this case - I don't think I've ever heard anyone use so many clichC)d > phrases in songwriting. The constant rhymes of "wall/small", "see/me", > "night/light", "sky/cry/lie"... It got to the point where I was trying to > guess the next line just to keep myself from zoning out. He also seemed > to use nothing but repetitively strummed power chord (barre chord) variants, > even though the chord sequences were sometimes catchy. I know, we can't > all start out like Paul Simon or Leonard Cohen, but the stark contrast with > Heather's writing was jarring to say the least. > > > On 4/19/16 11:35 AM, Tim Jones-Yelvington wrote: > > What'd y'all think of that dude (the opener?). His sound struck me as > being > > similar to Heather's Glow Stars album, if you played every song at the > > exact same tempo, and replaced her voice with something much wobblier and > > lacking in dynamic range. > > > > On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Greg Dunn wrote: > > > >> I concur with the others - she had an opener in Ann Arbor and it took > just > >> under an hour for him to do his set and for her to prepare. I would > expect > >> her actual start time to be right at or before 9. > >> > >> On 4/16/16 4:05 PM, jessica spurling wrote: > >>> Hi! I have a ticket to see Heather Nova this coming Tuesday. Tuesday > also > >>> happens to be my book club night, and I really don't want to miss book > >>> club. I'm hoping I can drop in to book club for a short visit and leave > >>> early and still catch Heather Nova. I believe there is someone opening > >> for > >>> her (Chris Riffle). Those of you who've seen her on this tour, did you > >> see > >>> her with an opener? should I expect her to go on about an hour after > >> "show > >>> time"? doors are at 7, show at 8, do you think it is OK if I aim to get > >>> there at 9? > >>> > >>> -jessica > >>> > >> > >> > >> -- > >>

------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 11:17:19 -0400 From: Greg Dunn Subject: Re: question for those who've seen heather nova on this tour I concur with the others - she had an opener in Ann Arbor and it took just under an hour for him to do his set and for her to prepare. I would expect her actual start time to be right at or before 9. On 4/16/16 4:05 PM, jessica spurling wrote: > Hi! I have a ticket to see Heather Nova this coming Tuesday. Tuesday also > happens to be my book club night, and I really don't want to miss book > club. I'm hoping I can drop in to book club for a short visit and leave > early and still catch Heather Nova. I believe there is someone opening for > her (Chris Riffle). Those of you who've seen her on this tour, did you see > her with an opener? should I expect her to go on about an hour after "show > time"? doors are at 7, show at 8, do you think it is OK if I aim to get > there at 9? > > -jessica > - --
------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 14:03:45 -0700 From: Neile Graham Subject: Guardian article about Mary Margaret O'Hara Brief article on long ecto-favourite Mary Margaret O'Hara's musical career. http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/apr/19/cult-heroes-mary-margaret-ohara-miss-america - --Neile ------------------------------ End of ecto-digest V16 #1679 ****************************