From: owner-ammf-digest@smoe.org (alt.music.moxy-fruvous digest) To: ammf-digest@smoe.org Subject: alt.music.moxy-fruvous digest V3 #914 Reply-To: ammf@fruvous.com Sender: owner-ammf-digest@smoe.org Errors-To: owner-ammf-digest@smoe.org Precedence: bulk alt.music.moxy-fruvous digest Monday, October 25 1999 Volume 03 : Number 914 Today's Subjects: ----------------- Re: OT: Arrogant Worms [Veronica J Gruneberg <6vjg@qlink.queensu.ca>] Frv-O-Lantern II: The Sequel! [seqiro@mail2.nai.net (Paul D. Beasi)] Re: Whitaker Center ["Bonnie Conrad" ] Re: [OT: Crime statistics] (LONG, sorry!) ["Jerry Levine/MHP" ] thornhill notes ["Crystal Lee Cooper" ] Re: Aaaaaaahhh!!!! nooooooo!!!!! [limezinger@aol.commmmmmmm (miss modular] Re: Frv-O-Lantern II: The Sequel! [vika@attglobal.net (Vika Zafrin)] Re: First Fruvous show [vika@attglobal.net (Vika Zafrin)] Re: santa cruz [fruwench@aol.com (FruWench)] Re: Frv-O-Lantern II: The Sequel! ["Adam Hartfield" ] Re: Saint Frank (san francisco) [fruwench@aol.com (FruWench)] Re: Reviews of the Nor Cal Shows [fruwench@aol.com (FruWench)] Re: Fight the powah. [Ellen ] Re: Fake ID needed (has nothing to do with this thread) [Nate DeRose ] A Last Word on Action [Amanda Wilson ] TESTING: Please Ignore [Josh Woodward ] "David Matheson has a Bacon number of 2." [CheesemonkeyGem Subject: Re: OT: Arrogant Worms Hey, you don't have to be a stalker-chick to get a weird look from a Worm. All you have to do it sneak into a Frosh Week event on your campus to see them play outdoors in the absolute pouring rain. Make sure you're in fourth year when you do this... :) :) Veronica (oh, those wacky Queen's students and alumni!) - -- *************************************************************************** "Every time I feel the urge to | Veronica Gruneberg exercise I lie down until it | Dept. of Biology goes away." - Mark Twain | Queen's University | Kingston, Ontario ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:08:00 GMT From: seqiro@mail2.nai.net (Paul D. Beasi) Subject: Frv-O-Lantern II: The Sequel! Some of you may remember last years Früv-O-Lantern. Well, the sequel is here! It would be pretty difficult for us to top what we did last year, but we had fun again nonetheless. So, I invite you to check it out if you'd like at: http://users.ntplx.net/~jkpolk (follow the link at the bottom) Bye now! Paul ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 00:34:33 -0400 From: "Bonnie Conrad" Subject: Re: Whitaker Center Hi all, Just a note to let everyone know the tickets for the Whitaker Center in Harrisburg, PA are now on sale. They're available through Ticketmaster as well, but if you contact the box office directly at 717-214-ARTS, the service charge is only $3.25 for the whole order instead of the outrageous fees Ticketmonster charges. Also, if anyone's interested I have 3 extra tix for the show. I ordered them for a friend, only to find out she'd already ordered them. Just email me at beconrad@paonline.com if you're interested. I had an opportunity to see the Whitaker Center today; it's a beautiful new place; should be a great show with Fruvous. I can't wait. Bonnie in Harrisburg (no longer a cultural wasteland) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 00:30:20 -0400 From: "Jerry Levine/MHP" Subject: Re: [OT: Crime statistics] (LONG, sorry!) Well spake...it's just too bad that that's a 600 level class, Kate...meaning that I can't take it. - -- - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jerry S. Levine "Do not allow children to mix drinks. It is unseemly and they use too much vermouth." -- Fran Lebowitz maddhatter@earthling.net jlevine@wam.umd.edu maddhatter@fruhead.com maddhatter@hushmail.com maddxhatter@hotmail.com AIM: maddxhattr ICQ: 745660 (rarely used) http://maddhatter.cjb.net Katherine Bunting wrote in message news:19991025030627.7267.qmail@ww156.netaddress.usa.net... | A.J., With all due respect, it seems that you're missing your own point. I | realize the main idea is that it's dangerous to make over-generalizations | about any particular group. I'd just ask, respectfully, that you recognize | that you're *still doing it.* I've been teaching CCJS 600 (Introduction to | Criminal Justice) at U. of Maryland for over a year. One of my lectures is | how the system works, and the misperceptions about it. Conviction happens | *after* arrest. While 10% of the population of this country may be | African-American, and almost 40% of the incarceration population is, this only | means that that group is over-respresented in the prison population. Because | African-Americans are *already* over-respresented among arrestees, it can only | logically follow that more of them are brought to trial, and more are | convicted. Your logic jumps ahead of itself. | | You also need to factor in a host of other *major* influences. Of *what* are | those people convicted? Consider recent legislation concerning drug | offenders; a white middle-class male is statistically less likely than a | black, lower-income male to use crack cocaine. The sentence for use, sales, | and distribution for crack cocaine is almost six times the length for powder | cocaine. If, statistically, more African-Americans are found than caucasians | to use crack as a form of cocaine, and the sentences are harsher, of course, | there are more of that group in prison. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 05:32:53 GMT From: CheesemonkeyGem Subject: Re: Fake ID needed (has nothing to do with this thread) Catching up on my 10 billion digests, I came across a post in this tired thread that I want to respond to with a completely off-topic and pointless post :) >Yup I know what you're talking about....it's been my >6ft 5inch problem >too...only at my height I have to worry about hitting >my head on >doorframes.....yes it has happened and no it doesn't >feel very good. Has anyone else noticed the short girls w/ tall guys correlation? I always see these short girls dating these massively taller guys and i just think it's hilarious. (of course, not that i think there is anything wrong with short people and tall people, or, as i observed, a union of the two). Myself, I'm around 5'4 and I once went out with a guy who was 6'5 and a half. Heh, we were a sight to behold. It was funny how he would have to bend down just to kiss me. But I digress... - -jen the completely pointless cheesemonkey, perhaps subconciously hoping that this will become a major thread and the other infamous one will die off... ===== ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Well, you know when you're rocking in a rocking chair, and you go so far that you almost fall over backwards, but at the last instant you catch yourself? That's how I feel all the time. - Steven Wright ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: 25 Oct 1999 07:47:01 GMT From: zonker629@aol.com (Zonker 629) Subject: Re: Troubador show >
Does anyone know if there's an opening act and if so (or even if
>not), what
>time Fruvous is expected to hit? They're saying 8 p.m. show!!!

From fruvous.com:

Tuesday, October 26, 1999
The Troubador
9081 Santa Monica Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90069
doors 8 pm
Cindy Bullens 9 pm
Moxy Fruvous 10:15 pm

Eric

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:19:22 -0400
From: "Brian"
Subject: First Fruvous show

I'm thinking of seeing Fruvous for the first time in Clifton Park. What
should I expect?
- --
Brian

- -- Remove nospam!! to reply --

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:48:48 +1000
From: "Crystal Lee Cooper"
Subject: thornhill notes

i recieved my copy of thornhill in the mail on friday (can't find fruvous in
the stores here) and i've just gotten to the internet now to respond.
i was listening to "sad girl", and i kept thinking... those first few chords
really remind me of something. then i realised what it was - ben folds
five's "narcolepsy". i don't know if anyone else has noticed the similarity,
but i did.
and i love "splatter splatter". i got my thirteen year old cousin to listen
to it and she liked it. i think maybe she was just saying that to make me
happy though, cause she listened to my sister's favourite german industrial
band (can't spell it, but it's something like einsturzende neubauten i
think) and she said that was ok as well. but she's a genuine fan of they
might be giants' "exquisite dead guy"! she plays it really loud every time
she visits.
oh, and by the way - please excuse any major spelling mistakes. my keyboard
is broken and i *think* i fixed all the mistakes but i'm tired, so i could
be wrong.
- --
Crystal Lee Cooper
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"it takes a lot to make me crazy and a lot is always going on"
DrPyser@tmbg.org
http://fly.to/drpyser

------------------------------

Date: 25 Oct 1999 09:06:41 GMT
From: limezinger@aol.commmmmmmm (miss modular)
Subject: Re: Aaaaaaahhh!!!! nooooooo!!!!!

>> I can't believe I missed the Conan show! I even missed the convenient
>> afternoon re-run!
>
>WHAT??!??!?!?!  Since when was there an afternoon rerun?????

there isn't.

the original poster probably is confusing the 3:05 rerun as a pm one, when it
is in fact an *am* rerun.    (and they didn't even run the fruvous repeat on
the east coast, 'cos of friggin'fraggin'baseball).

sarah
linnellgirl@tmbg.org
http://members.aol.com/limezinger
"we're quite snobby, in the sense that we get bored easily,
and we don't like music or movies that are predictable.
we like things that 'bounce' in a weird fashion." - laetitia sadier

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 11:29:45 GMT
From: vika@attglobal.net (Vika Zafrin)
Subject: Re: Frv-O-Lantern II: The Sequel!

Spake seqiro@ct2.nai.net (Paul D. Beasi):

>http://users.ntplx.net/~jkpolk

*applause*  Very very cool, Paul and Andrea!  Once again, I'm very
impressed with your artistry.

:)

- -v, what *would* happen if next year's Frucon had *these* pics as the
jigsaw puzzles?.... hmmmmm....

- ----------- Vika  Zafrin ----------- vika@attglobal.net -----------
http://www.fruhead.com/users/vika/index.html
http://www.brown.edu/Research/Decameron

"Hey, ground, I'm nobody's lunch." -Eddie From Ohio

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 11:35:06 GMT
From: vika@attglobal.net (Vika Zafrin)
Subject: Re: First Fruvous show

Spake "Brian" :

>I'm thinking of seeing Fruvous for the first time in Clifton Park. What
>should I expect?

Brian!  Welcome to this newsgroup and to the world of Fruvous live.  You
should expect the unexpected.

No, really.  :)  Aren't I helpful?

Okay, more precisely:

- -at least one impromptu "song" concerning whatever subject they happen
to be talking about
- -absolutely *contagious* energy
- -four very talented goofballs
- -a pretty well-built (balanced, that is) setlist
- -much, much fun

Definitely go.  It IS true that you haven't heard Fruvous until you've
seen (and heard!) them live.  Tell us what you thought, after you go!

- -v, now wondering if that show is on a weekend.... no, bad student,
baaaad student, need to pass heinous exams before fun happens...

Date: 25 Oct 1999 12:43:18 GMT
From: fruwench@aol.com (FruWench)
Subject: Re: santa cruz

And don't forget Mike buggering Jesse Ventura on stage.  And the King of
Spain's banana.  :-)

ladywench

"Music not danced to is music wasted."  - Eileen Ivers, PFF 38

FruSpace - We came, we saw, we slept on the floor . . .

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:43:06 -0400
From: "Adam Hartfield"

> Well, the sequel is here!  It would be pretty difficult for us to top
> what we did last year, but we had fun again nonetheless.  So, I invite
> you to check it out if you'd like at:

Last year's was amazing; this year's is even better. Way to go, Paul and
Andrea!

- --Adam
adamh@javanet.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:48:37 -0400
From: "Adam Hartfield"

Brian  wrote in message
> I'm thinking of seeing Fruvous for the first time in Clifton Park. What
> should I expect?
> --
> Brian

Lots of fun! Northern Lights is a nice spacious venue. You can also be
entertained while in line outside by the doings of the huge RV/boat store
next door.

Oh, you mean at the concert itself? I'll let other pepple answer that. :)

- --Adam
adamh@javanet.com

------------------------------

Date: 25 Oct 1999 12:40:33 GMT
From: fruwench@aol.com (FruWench)
Subject: Re: Saint Frank (san francisco)

>Raja - very cool!

VERY cool indeed.  I was restless during this show and was all the way in the
back pacing for most of it (and dancing).  I didn't see Jian pick up the
doumbek and didn't realize what he was doing on the floor of the stage (he just
disappeared below the crowd, I thought he was checking a monitor and just never
came back) until I heard the doumbek in a bit of tangential banter they did.  I
had LOTS of room in the back to let myself go and dance.  I was SO happy to
hear Raja again, I have missed teh doumbek.

All in all, a rockin' weekend.  We were treated to lots of bits of rarities and
songs I haven't heard in a while.

Date: 25 Oct 1999 12:35:56 GMT
From: fruwench@aol.com (FruWench)
Subject: Re: Reviews of the Nor Cal Shows

Here's two for the quote books:

1) In Santa Cruz, the Lads went into their spiel about "someone"  (Murray) not
being a member of the collective.  And needing to work on inner peace by
visualizing . . .in this case Madonna's baby Lourdes.  Discussing the show with
Taylor on Sat before the Stanford show, I came up with . . .
     "We are Früvous of Borg, prepare to be harmonized."

2) After the show in San Francisco on Sat, I head a couple of girls ask Tobey
how soon the Lads would be out to sign stuff.  Seems they didn't want to hang
around very long.  Tobey's response . . .
     "That's like asking how soon will you be out of the bedroom after sex.
They have just made love to 600 people."
Follow up quotes from two newly deflowered friends of mine included . . .
    George - "Yeah, they need to clean up."
    Kirsten - "And they didn't even bring us a towel."

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 13:44:43 GMT
From: Ellen
Subject: Re: Fight the powah.

In article <19991022171638.10900.00000045@ng-ci1.aol.com>,
  srm9988n@aol.comicrelief (Lori at fruhead dot com) wrote:

> Umm, where did *anyone* involved in the discussion say it was so
> important to  them that the level of discussing it on Usenet wasn't
> enough for them?  I didn't see anyone make that statement

That's the whole point.  No one did, and that's pretty damned sad.  "This
pisses me off but not enough to get up out of this chair and do something
about it," is a fairly apathetic attitude.  It's very easy to criticize
what's broken when you don't have to get up and fix it yourself.
Lawrence has been the most vocal in his opposition to 21+ shows, so
unfortunately he's the one getting picked on here.  And he did say that
this was an issue he felt was worth "fighting" for.  Sitting around
discussing on Usenet, however, is not effectively fighting, unless
someone in the discussion actually has the power to bring about a change.
There are no representatives to congress here that I know of.

>  People pick their battles, and how to fight them,
> based on their own individual conscience, not on challenges from others
>  (who may be issuing the challenge just because they're growing tired
> of the chatter, in which case no one's making them read the thread.

What I'm growing tired of is sanctimonius repetition from people who
aren't putting their money where their mouths are.  (again, just an
example--) Lawrence's conscience seems to tell him it's okay to throw
around words like "fascist" without seeming to know (or care) what the
people he's accusing are up against themselves.  But it's ok, because all
of his friends use "fascist" in that context, so it must be right.

And *going* to all those 21+ shows is all right, too, even if they're
fascist.

What I'm trying to say is that it's inexcuseable to throw judgment around
like that when you're not willing to dig any deeper to find the truth of
a situation.  Much less work to change it.

> It's not like we've been moaning about it for weeks.

That's not true; we've had this discussion before.  As recently as the
last Ramshead show.

> As for what *I'm* going to do about it?  I pay attention to the voting
> records and activities of my congresscritters and local reps, write to
> them when provoked, and make them quite aware of my obsessive voting
> habits.  I converse with club owners and bouncers (or talk back to
> them, as the case may be at certain UnSpeakables in Philly.)

Wonderful. This is exactly what I wanted to hear.  I know one person
can't singlehandedly change much, but the fact that you do all of this
must mean that you also think that one person *can* make a difference.
My whole point was to say, "don't criticize unless you're willing to work
towards change."  To hear things like what we've been hearing in the last
week from people who don't even vote would really be a shame, wouldn't
it?  I'm just looking for some confirmation that this is the start of
something and not the end of it.

> But using smaller, more personal and less publicly confrontational ways
> that feel more effective to me doesn't mean that I'm not acting.  Imho
> "all talk, no action" is utterly an oxymoron.

Sorry, I couldn't disagree with you more on this last point.  Talk is
important.  I certainly know the value of an open discussion, and I'm
sure you know that "shut up," was not at all what I meant.  But talk does
not move the mountain until it is acted upon. The last thing a person
needs to be told is, "sure, keep on sitting on yer ass deciding what
everyone else in the world is doing wrong."

peace,
ellen
***************************************
Still looking for .sig inspiration.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 11:38:58 -0400
From: Nate DeRose
Subject: Re: Fake ID needed (has nothing to do with this thread)

CheesemonkeyGem wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed the short girls w/ tall guys
> correlation?

Yeah... isn't that odd?

Being a 6'3" guy... I've always tended towards shorter girls.
My last girlfriend was in the mid 5's.

I guess it's true what they say..... opposites attract... :)

nate

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:50:48 -0500
From: Chad Maloney

Grant Partridge wrote:

> I can't believe I missed the Conan show! I even missed the convenient
> afternoon re-run! AAACK!! If anyone has some kind of .avi, .mpg, Real Video
> file, Vivo, or ANYTHING, Pleeeheheheheeeese mail me at
> korang@sprint.canospam (you know the deal) and tell me if you're willing to
> send it or the address where I can find it.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Venue/5943/fruconan.htm

Matt Lippert forwarded that URL to the ng. Dunno if he made the
RealVideo or not, but if so, thanks all go to him.

Chris O, maybe this would be a good link for the Multimedia section
on FDC.

			- Chad

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:31:33 -0400
From: Amanda Wilson
Subject: A Last Word on Action

You might recognize these; they still ring true for me.
ObFruContent: Wouldn't it be cool if the guys did this a-capella?

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'.
For the loser now
Will be later to win
For the times they are a-changin'.

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't stand in the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'.
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin'.

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'.
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'.

                     --Bob Dylan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:45:59 -0400
From: Josh Woodward
Subject: TESTING: Please Ignore

Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore this test! Please ignore th!

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:25:37 GMT
From: CheesemonkeyGem
Subject: "David Matheson has a Bacon number of 2."

Heh, so I'm at this Kevin Bacon Game site and I am
instructed to enter the name of an actor and it will
work out the "Bacon number" for me. After typing in
the names of some actors, I decide to see if our
lovable thespian frulad would come up. There it is:

- -David Matheson was in Eddie and the Cruisers II:
Eddie Lives! (1989) with James (I) Rae
- -James (I) Rae was in Criminal Law (1988) with Kevin
Bacon

:D heehee, Dave is two degrees from Kevin Bacon!
Just thought I'd mention that :)

The site, for anyone interested, is
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/oracle/

- -jen, the Kevin Bacon-loving, and Kevin
Bacon-Game-loving cheesemonkey

=====

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:25:57 GMT
From: jbardhan@demon.ceh.servtech.com (Neil Bardhan)

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 05:32:53 GMT, CheesemonkeyGem
 wrote:

> Myself, I'm around
>5'4 and I once went out with a guy who was 6'5 and a
>half. Heh, we were a sight to behold. It was funny how
>he would have to bend down just to kiss me. But I
>digress...
>
>-jen the completely pointless cheesemonkey, perhaps
>subconciously hoping that this will become a major
>thread and the other infamous one will die off...

 Jen, that's a pretty odd hope for a thread: kissing you. i'll leave
that one to the experts.

Neil

Neil Bardhan: jbardhan@servtech.com
http://demon.ceh.servtech.com
Pork chops are elastic.

End of alt.music.moxy-fruvous digest V3 #914